Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Could this be the PSU?

This is a discussion on Could this be the PSU? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. have recently installed some new parts in my computer. Bought a new motherboard (asus p5q), new processor (intel 3.2ghz) and

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #1

have recently installed some new parts in my computer. Bought a new motherboard (asus p5q), new processor (intel 3.2ghz) and more RAM.

The computer has made some noices from time to time after installing these parts. Just like a small click, like the one i get when i turn off the computer.

Yesterday the computer totally got gung-ho on me and went black. No response what so ever when i turn it on. I get some lights in the leds when i press the button but only for half a sec or so. My first though was the PSU but then i saw the leds on the motherboards flashing up like they always do so now im not so sure anymore? If the PSU is still intact, shouldnt the internal fan in the PSU still go? My second thought would be overheating and a broken processor, since its no responce in the system. no fans, no sound, nothing... ?

any thoughts?

the PSU i have installed is a 500watt. Im also running geforce8600gt card, and the PSU should be enough for this setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

What brand and model is the 500 watt PSU?

If you have access to a digital voltmeter follow the steps here> https://www.techsupportforum.com/f210...er-151526.html
Old 09-28-2009, 12:50 AM   #3

dont have the brand or the model atm im afraid, or a voltmeter!

What seems strange is that i have the 5v led lights on, and the leds on the front panel is also on for a short time but nothing else seems to react when i hit the power on button. Its completely dead.

and the computer has been running fine for two weeks after installing the new parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 02:44 AM   #4
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

There are different voltages besides the 5v to check, either using a voltmeter or by swapping in a known good power supply.

You could try removing the power from the drives a removing all but 1 stick of ram to lower the power requirements, it may or may not tell us something.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:14 AM   #5

If the fan on the PSU is not working and you only get led's for a sec then it all shuts off stick a fork in it its done.
New PSU time.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #6
Emeritus

Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU
Remove the side of the case. The Power Supply will have a label with the Brand & Model Number.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #7

hey guys

got a hold of another psu, changed it and it worked fine. But i still have the weird sound every hour or so. So my next thought is that its something wrong with the mobo. Guess i just have to give it back and have the shop check it :(

thx for replies
Old 09-29-2009, 01:03 AM   #8
Enthusiast

My System

motherboards cant make a noise since there are no moving parts on a mobo.

if it is a click click click type of sound then it could be that the platters on the hard drive are failing. If it is more of a buzz sound then something could be shorting the motherboard.

Are all the standoffs in place and the motherboard screwed in correctly?
Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 AM   #9

its the same sound as u get when u turn off the computer. Just like a relay when u turn power on/off. Thats why i first thought it could be the psu giving me trouble. But now i have a brand new psu, but still have the same sound. The hard drive is also new, raptor 10000rpm disk. Could a hd cause a psu fail?

The motherboard shuld be screwed in correctly and there should be nothing there wich could cause a shorting.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #10
Enthusiast

My System

have never seen a hard drive cause the psu to fail but I have seen a hard drive fail because of the psu failing.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #11
Emeritus

What Brand & Model is the new PSU?

Closed Thread