Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Cooler Master EX2 625 PSU Fan Weird Sound & Moving Slowly

This is a discussion on Cooler Master EX2 625 PSU Fan Weird Sound & Moving Slowly within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sorry, this question might sounds silly. Earlier when I first switched on my PC, I noticed a weird sound, something

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Sorry, this question might sounds silly.

Earlier when I first switched on my PC, I noticed a weird sound, something like brrr.. brrr.. brrr.. and I noticed that it comes from the PSU fan. When I touched the PSU case, it seems to vibrate a little when the fan was making the weird sound.

At that time, the PSU fan was moving very slowly, something like 20rpm? Actually I am not sure if it's supposed to be moving slowly, I have never monitored the PSU fan before, I only checked it earlier when it had the weird sound (also because of the weird sound).

So I carefully removed the PSU, and opened up to check the fan, nothing is blocking the fan so not sure what's wrong, then assembled the PSU back to its position and switched on the PC again. This time, the fan is still moving slowly, but no weird sound. After about 5-10 minutes, the fan is starting to pick up on speed, not too speedy but slightly faster than before.

Spec - Cooler Master: Extreme 2 625

My concern is,

1. Is this normal? Because I have never monitored the PSU fan before, I have no idea what's the normal speed for PSU fan.

2. If this is not normal, is my PSU dying? I have no problem with PSU at the moment, at least PC is not shutting off on its own. I mean I can still use the PC. Power is running. No issues with other fans.

3. Or is it just the fan problem?

4. If it's just fan problem, is there any solution that does not require changing PSU?

Thank you for your assistance. I am really worried about this because the PSU costs me a huge fortune.

Attached is a copy of the user's manual spec.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coolermaster625.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	204530  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

You should not mess with the inside of a power supply unless you are a qualified electrician. A PSU can still carry a charge after being switched off a long time and that charge could be enough to cause you serious harm.

check the voltages of your psu in the BIOS.

I would recommend getting a new psu instead of getting someone to mess about with the fan. Get a good make this time and it should last longer (xfx seasonic, antec high current gamer)
Old 11-14-2014, 03:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. Will send it in for warranty claim. Thanks for the suggestion. Will def look out for a better make.

*issue considered solved for now, nothing much can be done but wait now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
You should not mess with the inside of a power supply unless you are a qualified electrician. A PSU can still carry a charge after being switched off a long time and that charge could be enough to cause you serious harm.
Anything that plugs into the wall can kill so I agree with greenbrucelee on this.

Note an ATX (and various international safety standards) compliant PSU will quickly (couple seconds at most) discharge (bleed off) any stored, residual and potentially hazardous charges. So, "in theory", once unplugged from the wall, the interior of the PSU "should" be safe.

BUT until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be faulty samples, and there will always be the chance of damage or something coming loose during shipping, or some other abuse. Therefore, it is not safe or wise to assume any PSU is in proper working condition - especially when digging around inside. So even as a qualified electronics technician, I am leery, and cautious, and very deliberate when troubleshooting PSUs.

For "normal" users, I recommend the use of a PSU Tester for testing voltages.

For the PSU fan, I use a wooden glue/Popsicle stick to hold the fan still while blasting for cleaning. For suspected fan problems, pressing the stick on the fan's center hub to slow it down momentarily will alter the fan noise and help me determine if that fan's bearings are beginning to fail, or not.

Finally, note that better PSUs will toggle down their fan speeds when the PSU is cool, and speed it up when demands increase heat production. In other words, your PSU may be working exactly as it should.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

The fan on this supply will turn relatively slowly when at lower power levels, and ramp up as power draw increases. However, even at minimum rpm (~6-700 rpm) the fan is still turning much too fast to see the individual blades. In any event, if the fan's bearings are grinding/rattling, seek an RMA from the vendor or the manufacturer.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks! The fan was moving so slow, can see the blades individually. The PSU is now on its way to the manufacturer.

Thanks for all your replies. Really appreciate it.
Closed Thread