Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Conflict? RAM with different latency and MHz

This is a discussion on Conflict? RAM with different latency and MHz within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 mobo with 3 triple channel sticks of 2GB RAM at 1333 and CL9.

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 11:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 mobo with 3 triple channel sticks of 2GB RAM at 1333 and CL9. They have served me faithfully for 7 years. Now, I am adding 4GBx3 sticks running at 1600 with CL11. My question is... Am I able to keep the old sticks (to have 18GB) if I keep them in their appropriate triple channel slots, or will there be issues with one set being CL9 vs CL11 and the MHz being 1333 vs 1600? Thank you in advance everyone.

Lance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2016, 11:54 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

No way to be certain of any issues without trying it out. If the PC boots and runs, it will most likely run all memory at the slower speed and latency. It may be necessary to manually adjust the memory settings from within system BIOS.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for your quick reply. I will give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I agree. Try it and see. The worse that can happen is your computer will fail to boot. But no damage should occur so simply removing the new RAM should restore everything back to normal.

Just make sure you unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior before reaching in or coming anywhere near the RAM to avoid damage through ESD (electro-static discharge). And of course, don't touch the electrical contacts of the RAM sticks.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 03-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Wrong RAM usually produces beeps at startup.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Closed Thread