Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Computer won't turn on.. power supply problem?

This is a discussion on Computer won't turn on.. power supply problem? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, I've been using my computer quite happily for about 2 years with absolutely zero problems, it's been great.

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #1

EEK!

Hi there, I've been using my computer quite happily for about 2 years with absolutely zero problems, it's been great. However today, middle of playing Fallout 3, and bam, computer and a fair few nearby electronic devices turn off to. Now the computer won't turn on, not even a flicker of life. Here are the specs:

# Processor: Intel QuadCore Q6700 2.66GHz, 8MB L2 Cache, 1066MHZ FSB
# Memory: 4GB XMS Pro Corsair RAM 6400 800MHz
# HDD Capacity: 1TB (2x500GB) 7200RPM Raid 0 Configuration
# Graphics Card: nVidia 768MB 8800 Ultra Graphics Card
# Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate
# Optical Drive: 18x Speed DVD +/-RW
# Audio: Creative X-Fi Fidelity Xtreme Gamer Sound Card
# Networking: Killer NIC Gaming Network Interface Card
# Power & Cooling: 850W PSU & Ice Cube Cooling Device
# Motherboard: ASUS P5N32-E SLI (NVIDIA nForce i680) motherboard

Now in my limited experience (I'm bit rusty with tech support nowadays since everything had been going right for so long...), I assume the power supply has blown since I can't get a single response from it. Here's some more indepth details for the power supply:
https://www.cwt.com.tw/english/2_prod...ail.php?ID=950

So firstly, what do I do now?
Try and replace that part?
With something newer?
I'm desperate to know if all my hard drives and data is a write off, what are my chances?
Anyway I can test to see if it's just the power supply is dead?
My hard drives were 2 x 500gb in a raid configuration, can I just pull both of these out stick them in another computer and it'll figure out they're together or is it gonig to take some configuring?
Is the rest of the computer higly at risk of being totally taken out of action?

...phew, sorry for all the questions you might have guessed I'm panicking a bit. Any help you people can throw my way would most appreciated!

Xazuki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Troubled

My System

Quote:
a fair few nearby electronic devices turn off to.
I'm guessing you've tried it in a different outlet?

It sounds like a power spike or blown circuit breaker, which (if this is a PC Power and Cooling PSU) shouldn't have caused permanent damage, unless it was a very bad one.

Check and see if the motherboard power light is on. Also try turning off and unplugging the PSU and letting the computer sit for a day or so, then trying again. Also, of course, try a PSU from another computer (preferably 550W or more).

850W is more than enough for your system. PC Power and Cooling PSUs also have very good OVP/UVP, and a whole host of other protections, so it's unlikely that there's much (if any) permanent damage to your system. As for the hard drives in RAID, that depends on what RAID level they were in, if it was hardware or software, and if the computer you try them in has the appropriate hardware/software.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

You won't know if anything else was affected till you try another psu in there. Could
try borrowing one, if you know someone who has one that's good enough to run that
card. The ultra likes it's power.

Channel Well Technology does make an awesome 850 watt power supply, unfortunately
it's not the model that you have. They are the OEM for Corsair psu's from the 750TX
and up. I use the 850TX, among others, and it's a great unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 05:34 AM   #4

Thanks for the response guys.

No change after a few hours I'm afraid, I rang up the only friend I could think of who'd possibly have a decent psu and I'm off to check it out later. Just by plugging the power supply into the motherboard and turning it on should be able to determine if the motherboard is toasted as well shouldn't it?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:01 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Yes and no. If you try another psu it may boot normally and run perfectly, then you know
that it was just the psu, and that it didn't take anything with it. It may not, you could just
get signs of power like fans spinning, lights, etc., without posting. That would tell you the
psu for sure, but it wouldn't be definitive on the other parts. If that happens, clear the
cmos first, then try again. If you have a case (diagnostic) speaker connected, you may get
beeps, and you can remove your ram to see if you get continuous beeps, which is the no
memory error. No beeps when you should get them would look bad for the motherboard.

And then there's always the bench test, minimum components to try and get a post, then
add in parts one at a time to try and isolate faults.
https://www.techsupportforum.com/f255...em-171424.html

However, try the psu, see how things stand then.
Closed Thread