Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Computer wont post after adding new RAM.

This is a discussion on Computer wont post after adding new RAM. within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, I currently built a new rig and all is well except that I recently bought more RAM to

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all, I currently built a new rig and all is well except that I recently bought more RAM to increase my memory from 8gb to 16gb but it wont post afterwards. The tower turns on lights and fans and all but nothing shows up on the monitor and the red DRAM LED lights up on my mobo indicating that something is wrong (I just don;t know what). All the sticks of memory works, since i've tried the new ones only and mixed them with the old ones also, but again it wont post after I put more than 2 sticks of ram. Any help will be greatly appreciated, here are my specs:

Case: Antec 1200
Mobo: Asus p8p67 pro
CPU: i5 2500k
PSU:Diablotek 850w
HDD: WD Green caviar 1tb

And the ram I am using is PNY Optima ddr3 1333mhz 8gb(2x4) dual-channel kits. I know none of them are dead since i've mixed and matched them and tried 1 at a time and all of them are fine, its just when I put 3 or more then problems show up. They are all the exact same RAM(s) also, I have tried resetting CMOS by taking out the battery and such, and tried the MEMOk! button after installing them, but just doesn't seem to work. Only thing I didn't get to finish trying is updating my bios and when I checked regedit my current BIOS version is 8.00.10. I tried downloading updater on asus sight but when I tried to run it, it would give me an error message.

Thanks all in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Quote:
its just when I put 3 or more then problems show up.
Quote:
PNY Optima ddr3 1333mhz 8gb(2x4) dual-channel kits
1. So do you have two of these 8GB PNY Optima kits? as in PNY 8GB Kit X2 =16GB?
Or just one of these kits and the other being your old pair of RAM?

2. Does your computer boot normally with only your old pair of RAM (8GB) installed? Make and model number of this pair please?

3. Have you tried installing the matched pairs alternatively?

Like so:

[1] PNY optima 4GB
[2] Old ram 4GB
[3] PNY optima 4GB
[4] Old ram 4GB

This is the dual channel configuration for your board.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:25 AM   #3
Emeritus

Do you really have a need for 16GB of RAM?
Are both sets identical in specs?
Filling all the RAM sticks can cause Voltage problems.
I've seen/had many issues with PNY RAM.
Brand & Model of the GPU?
Your PSU is very poor quality and that may also be contributing to the problem.
Bios updates should only be done if the update directly addresses your problem(s). If you do need to update an Asus Mobo: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- EZ Flash 2 - the safest way to update BIOS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReviverSoft View Post
1. So do you have two of these 8GB PNY Optima kits? as in PNY 8GB Kit X2 =16GB?
Or just one of these kits and the other being your old pair of RAM?

2. Does your computer boot normally with only your old pair of RAM (8GB) installed? Make and model number of this pair please?

3. Have you tried installing the matched pairs alternatively?

Like so:

[1] PNY optima 4GB
[2] Old ram 4GB
[3] PNY optima 4GB
[4] Old ram 4GB

This is the dual channel configuration for your board.
1) Yes they are all the exact same sticks. I have 2 kits of PNY Optima (2x4).

2) No they boot wether I use the old PNY Optima I have or the old PNY Optima kit I have.

3)Yes I have mixed and matched them. Old then new, new and old, etc..

And as for the GPU I thought I had put it guess not (sorry), I have an MSI 560ti Twin Frozr. And for the psu, how would I know if it is having voltage issues? or if the PNY sticks are the ones with issues?

Oh and btw the red CPU LED on my mobo blinks for like a second after each memok! test, or whenever I turn it on. And when I do the test or right after I turn it on the computer powers up but then powers down for like 2 seconds then powers up again. (All this when I have all 4 sticks of ram put in).
Closed Thread