Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Computer won't boot but has power

This is a discussion on Computer won't boot but has power within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When I try powering my PC on it powers up but nothing happens (No display on monitors, no LEDs on

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

When I try powering my PC on it powers up but nothing happens (No display on monitors, no LEDs on keyboard/mouse). The fans are all still spinning, I hear the one beep and the LEDs on the motherboard light up. Iíve had this problem a while but normally if I restarted a few times it would eventually boot up, now it won't.

Iíve tried the following:

- Multiple monitors and different cables
- Reset CMOS
- RAM: Only using one stick/slot at a time (uses 2 sticks normally)

I donít have additional CPU/GPU/Ram to test each components individually. Any advice to find the faulty component would be appreciated!

P/S: Sorry if itís the wrong section. Wasn't sure what to put it under since iím not sure on the exact cause of my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Knowing the make and model numbers of your hardware would help.

Does your motherboard have onboard video?
Old 05-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Without knowing hardware it is impossible to tell but sounds like psu dying so give us make and model of branded pc or hardware of custom and Windows version as your cp says Windows XP? Really? Then we'll get a lot more helpful!

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 07:16 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
I hear the one beep
That typically suggest a successful POST (power on self test) so it would seem your computer is making through the initial stages of booting and that would suggest to me the power supply is okay. HOWEVER, as a tech, I always want to confirm I have good power (since everything else relies on good power) so I would want to swap in a known good PSU to be sure.

After that, my guess would be the graphics card (since you already swapped out monitors). If your current card has more than one output, try a different output (assuming one of your monitors supports the different output).

Beyond that, as suggested above, we need more information. For example, if we knew your motherboard and if has integrated graphics, then as Masterchief implied, you could pull your graphics card and try integrated. If it works, you know you have problems with your current graphics solution. That said, something is working with your current graphics solution since again, it seems your system is making through POST and setting up the graphics BIOS is one of the first steps of the boot process.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread