Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Computer shutdown, heat issue not suspected

This is a discussion on Computer shutdown, heat issue not suspected within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. OH MY GOD! Ive searched forums after forums after forums for anyone having this issue. I to have an alienware

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #1

OH MY GOD!

Ive searched forums after forums after forums for anyone having this issue.
I to have an alienware PC with basically similar specs.

My specs.

E8400
2x 9800gt
8gb SLI READY MEMORY OCZ
Killer NIC

my computer shuts down randomly as well. i have troubleshot everything, the only way i dont have a shut down is if i leave 1 Video card in the PC. If i have 2 in there it shuts down in about 3-7min of a stress test or Video Game play. Ive even had it shut down while it was installing Microsoft Office.

This really sounds like a PSU issue I only wish the OP had posted what his fix was/is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what brand and wattage psu

running in sli you need to be up here

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nc.-_-17139009

Old 01-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #3

From what i understand Alienware uses PC&P PSU's and its a 1k PSU, funny thing is If I run 2 GPUs and run stress tests it shuts down. 1 GPU and run stress tests works fine.
Now over the summer i had the AC blowing right at it. i bought one of those AC units u can move from one room to the other deals, because (A) it was a hella hot summer this year and (B) i was having the shutdown issues since then but i thought they were due to the hot summer we were having.

While pointing the AC unit at it i never had a shutdown issue with the PC, this maybe a coincidence or a direct effect, reason i state that is because ive had 2 GPU failures which i have sent back to Alienware. The first time the GPU failure was caught right away the 2nd time i had a GPU failure i hadnt noticed it till nvidia had come out with a new driver update and while trying to figure out why the SLI mode wasnt on i saw under device mgr that 2nd video card had failed. So who knows how long i had the 2nd card not working for.

Now its like 60 in the winter time and still having he shut down issues, however if i leave just one video card in there i gots no issues.

Temps are normal CPU clocks in at the highest 50c and 56c (dual core) SPP 46c-50c MCP 44c-51c GPU 45c-57c this is all under load and depends on how long ive been using it for. These temps i get using everest and HWmonitor and Nforce Performance software so im using those plus the bios to verify as well.

Anywho I originally posted this under some other Alienware user who posted here with the exact same problem. Wasnt trying to Necro Bump but the issue that person was having were exactly the same or least sounded exactly the same as what i am having. I was hoping that person had his forum post settings setup to get an email if someone posts something new on his post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

if you think a thread is similar subscribe to it

any error messages when the problem occurs

is anything listed in the error logs

Closed Thread