Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Computer Issue

This is a discussion on Computer Issue within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. Lately my computer has been really unstable. I've been experiencing restarts, the monitor has gone black while the computer

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #1

Hello. Lately my computer has been really unstable. I've been experiencing restarts, the monitor has gone black while the computer is still on, there's been at least one blue screen and in one of the more worrisome cases the monitor shifted to a black screen and the computer began to beep.

As per this thread, it's been confirmed that the system is not infected with any viruses or malware. What could the cause of the problems be? The beeping leads me to believe that it could be a RAM fault, but I'm not sure. I'd greatly appreciate any assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Please list your specs including the video card and the brand name and model of your power supply. In the meantime, remove all but one stick of ram and see if it still does that. If it does, then swap the other stick(s) in there one at a time and see what they do while being operated as single sticks.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
Emeritus

Posting the Error Codes you receive on the BSOD would also be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #4

Apologies for the delay. My ISP underwent a merger with another larger ISP and thus the Internet was down for at least two days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36
Please list your specs including the video card and the brand name and model of your power supply. In the meantime, remove all but one stick of ram and see if it still does that. If it does, then swap the other stick(s) in there one at a time and see what they do while being operated as single sticks.
CPU: Intel 3.4 Ghz Dual Core
Video Card: GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT
Power Supply: TT BTX-400
Motherboard: GIGABYTE FSB1066 GA945GCMX-S2
Memory: Kingston KVR 1GB DDR Ram

I can't swap out the memory sticks because I only have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree
Posting the Error Codes you receive on the BSOD would also be helpful.
Here you go.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

***STOP:0x00000001, COx0000008C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0xF6DADE83
Old 01-18-2010, 02:58 AM   #5

Bump, please.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:17 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

See if any of this fits:

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001141.htm
Old 01-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #7

Well, I tried to use Memtest but the instructions for using it seem to be pretty convoluted. Plus I don't have a floppy disk drive, which is another obstacle. Forgive me for being a total newbie about this, but how do I get it to work?
Old 01-21-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Download the iso file, and use that to create a bootable cd. You boot from the cd and take the operating system and hard drive out of the equation, then you test the ram.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/f149...ml#post1947187
Old 01-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #9

Sorry for the delay again. I really wish I had the time to respond more rapidly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimx133 View Post
Download the iso file, and use that to create a bootable cd. You boot from the cd and take the operating system and hard drive out of the equation, then you test the ram.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/f149...ml#post1947187
Alright, I got it to work but how can I be sure that it scanned the memory? I'm not certain what it scanned exactly. Did it just scan the memory, the CPU or all of the above? It performed all nine tests on one pass and found no errors.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #10

Sorry for the bump, but I'm still experiencing problems. After about a month of stability, I thought the problem had resolved itself on its own. However it returned. Just yesterday the monitor went black and when I reset it the computer automatically restarted upon reaching Windows XP. It restarted again today as well. Memtest didn't detect any errors so I guess the memory isn't at fault. What could the cause of the problem be?
Old 02-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

What are the voltages and temperatures in the bios?
Old 03-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36 View Post
What are the voltages and temperatures in the bios?
According to Hmonitor the temperatures and voltages are as follows.

CPU-
Temp 3= 33 degrees celsius

HDD temperature-
34 degrees

Cooling Fans-
Chassis= 1358 rpm
CPU 1= 2257 rpm

Voltages-
Core= +1.31V
+3.3V= +3.33V
Aux= +1.84V

Graphics Adapters-
Temperatures- GPU= 48 degrees celsius
Old 03-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #13
Enthusiast

My System

you need to go into the bios for accurate readings for the voltages and temps.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #14

Well, the problem just continues to worsen. Yesterday it restarted on me, the system began beeping after the monitor went off and when I reset it I got this message-

WINDOWS could not start because of an error in the software!
load needed DLLS for kernel.

It was only after all of these things had happened was I able to use the computer properly (the interesting thing is, after these errors occur the computer is completely stable).

I thought the issue might be Windows related but I got an empty blue screen today (no error message) while it was still booting up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
you need to go into the bios for accurate readings for the voltages and temps.
Very well. Is there anything amiss here?

BIOS System health settings:

Vcore - OK
DDR18V - OK
+3.3V - OK
+12V - OK
Current CPU Temperature - 43 degrees celsius
Current CPU FAN Speed - 1956 RPM
Current SYSTEM FAN Speed - 2250 RPM
Old 03-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

43c for CPU at-rest is a bit too warm. What kind of thermal paste did you use? What case fans do you have, where are they located, and which direction are they blowing?
Old 03-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #16

Quote:
43c for CPU at-rest is a bit too warm. What kind of thermal paste did you use? What case fans do you have, where are they located, and which direction are they blowing?
I don't have any thermal paste. I've never even used it before. As for the case fans, I've got two. The case is an ATX Minitower. The first fan is situated at the rear of the case and it's blowing forward into the PC. The second is located to the left, blowing to the right. Perhaps the fans aren't strong enough if that is the CPU temperature.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

Any fan in back (most important fan) MUST pull hot air out of the case and blow it out the back. Any front (important fan) fan should pull cool air in the case. Any side fan needs to pull cool air in to the case. Change the direction of any that are wrong and recheck the bios temperatures.

Did you build this computer or is it a proprietary unit that was pre-built?
Old 03-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Any fan in back (most important fan) MUST pull hot air out of the case and blow it out the back. Any front (important fan) fan should pull cool air in the case. Any side fan needs to pull cool air in to the case. Change the direction of any that are wrong and recheck the bios temperatures.
Actually there's only one fan. I was mistaken about there being two. Sorry about that. The fan is blowing out hot air from the case. And I checked the BIOS temperatures. Just after entering the BIOS setup and checking the PC health screen, the CPU went from 22 degrees to 41 in about a minute. Maybe there's something wrong with the CPU's cooling fan or the CPU itself.

Quote:
Did you build this computer or is it a proprietary unit that was pre-built?
It was pre-assembled, the BIOS and OS came pre-installed. It was purchased on February 29th, 2008 and worked properly until this issue cropped up during these past few months.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #19
Enthusiast

My System

the error message suggests windows has become corrupt, so you need to do a repair instal with the windows disk.

you also need to figure out why windows has become corrupt, possibly a virus. Run a virus check.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
the error message suggests windows has become corrupt, so you need to do a repair instal with the windows disk.
The message may have appeared as a result of the CPU overheating. I experienced similar messages when I had a faulty power supply on a previous system. It seemed like my operating system was failing, but the power supply was merely overheating. So I had it replaced and the system was completely fine after that.

The CPU going from 22 degrees to 40 in under a minute is clearly not normal, wouldn't you agree?

Perhaps it is a Windows related issue but I'd like to know your opinion.

Quote:
you also need to figure out why windows has become corrupt, possibly a virus. Run a virus check.
I already ran exhaustive checks for viruses and malware (as you can see in the thread I linked to in my first post). My computer is completely clean. Hence why I went to this forum and made this thread.
Closed Thread