Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Computer completely dies? Does this have to be a PSU problem?

This is a discussion on Computer completely dies? Does this have to be a PSU problem? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a perplexing problem here. I am working on a machine that is having some strange issues. So, get

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a perplexing problem here.

I am working on a machine that is having some strange issues.

So, get the PC in, XP machine, for office use. Using onBoard graphics, 512MB RAM, 3.00Ghz Intel cpu. Mobo is a PM800-M2 rev. 1.0.

It came in with a 550w iBest Gold PSU switching 20pin.

Replaced that PSU with a 480w Logisys switching 20+4pin.

So problem is, computer may boot normally once, can log into XP, open programs, is slow (way slower than 3.00Ghz desktop should be mind you, but could just be in need of defragging), but then 5-15 minutes in it will shut off randomly. Then it can be turned on and will last maybe 2-5 minutes once or twice, then it cannot be turned on at all.

This happens with both PSUs.

Does this have to be a PSU problem?

I was thinking it could be the motherboard, or RAM, but EVERYTHING shuts off. In past experience if it is motherboard, or RAM, or anything else fans + everything stays on, just the system won't boot. (here the system does boot though, at least initially). if cpu is overheating maybe it would cause total shut down? Everything is clean though...see no reason for overheating.

Did I just replace a bad PSU with another bad one?

What else could it be? A virus?

Not sure how to even check for that since the machine won't stay on very long.

Any suggestions, experience with this problem, etc... would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!

Edit:

I think I just found a bent module on the mobo...not sure what it does unfortunately. It is surrounded by letters RAC. Maybe it is supposed to be bent? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Both of those PSU are about as low in quality as you can get.

Boot into the BIOS (system setup) by pressing [DEL] at the logo screen.

Once inside the BIOS go to PC Health Status and post the temp and voltage readings.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anomalous computer slowdown after PSU explosion
So I turned my computer (specs below) on one day and there was a loud bang and a big plume of smoke came out the back of my PSU. I pulled the power cord out of the PC and installed a new Antec 650W earthwatts. Everything was ok for a few days but I've just started to notice weird, crippling...
sepialatimanus RAM and Power Supply Support 8 06-01-2011 05:55 PM
PSU or Mobo problem in freshly built computer
Ok, so my desktop PC isn't freshly built as in months, days, or weeks, but I did built it in September 2008, only to deal with so many problems the next few months afterward with freezing (even with a completly reformatted harddrive, reinstall of Windows XP, and even after I recently installed...
abraxas0 RAM and Power Supply Support 9 01-28-2011 03:39 PM
Slight Problem with new computer
Just built a new computer and everything works fine, except for one little problem maybe someone could help me out with. Like maybe once or twice a day, the computer will stutter for like half a second. It's never caused a program to crash or reboot, so it's not that big of a deal, but if anyone...
skootterk Building 5 01-20-2011 05:18 PM
PSU problem or is it more?
I recently upgraded to a new MB in Nov and everything was running fine until last night I was doing some gaming and there was an unusual noise suddenly computer lost power and immediately tried to reboot. There was no BSOD. Windows 7 64bit failed to load and has only loaded once (took about 10...
winkbud RAM and Power Supply Support 5 01-16-2011 09:21 AM
Computer LAN problem
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit Gigabyte 880-GM-UD3H Mobo Phenom II x4 B55 6 GB DDR3 Ram I just built this computer 4 months ago and have been having this problem ever since. I can connect through a wireless usb card but through LAN the activity light on my router won't...
mbuller11 Networking Support 3 01-10-2011 03:22 PM