Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Can this power supply be saved?

This is a discussion on Can this power supply be saved? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys/gals, To start, earlier this afternoon a lightening bolt struck across the street from my house and fried a

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys/gals,

To start, earlier this afternoon a lightening bolt struck across the street from my house and fried a bunch of my beloved electronics. My desktop's power supply was one of the many things that got jacked during said horrid event. My computer boots, loads windows, and has video which leads me to believe that the only thing sacrificed was the power supply itself which shuts down approximately 1 minute from being turned on. My settings currently have auto-restart after power failure, and it will power off approx 10-20 seconds after the initial boot. This leads me to believe that the power supply is overheated and it's probably trash. However, I'm getting varying lengths of time before power failure from the start, ie, sometimes it will go 2-3 minutes before the initial power failure. I guess at this point, what I'm curious of is that there's nothing that I can do to physically fix it and it belongs in the trash?

A few other things, the power supply is a 850W off brand. My boyfriend's power supply which is a cosair was unaffected. Because my PSU is/was an offbrand and they probably cut corners, should I forget the warranty and just get a reliable brand (in case another thunderbolt strikes my shack in the middle of the Arizona desert which sees lightening once every 60 years)? To finish, I did have a surge protector. Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

Edit: just to clarify, I'll power on the computer after it's rested for a while and it'll run from anywhere from 1-3 minutes before power failure. After the initial power failure it will continually shut off between 10-20 second intervals. If I allow it to rest for a good bit (say 30+ minutes), it will go back to lasting 1-3 minutes before initial power failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Yes get a good quality 850w PSU like his Corsair. The Corsair AX, HX and TX are all top quality.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
Emeritus

Post your PC specs and we can suggest a replacement PSU.
SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (TX-VX-HX-TX) are top quality units made by SeaSonic.
PC Specs?
Pre-Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

Closed Thread