Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Can A MotherBoard fry PSU ????!

This is a discussion on Can A MotherBoard fry PSU ????! within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hello, I have a very weird case here , I recently bought a new desktop with the following specs .

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

hello,
I have a very weird case here , I recently bought a new desktop with the following specs .

M.B : GA-Z97X-UD3H
CPU : intel coreI7 4790
Graphics Card : GigaByte GTX 660-OC
RAM : HyperX fury 8GB (X2)
Chassis : CoolerMaster K380(500W PSU)

I assembled everything together and it all worked fine for about 15mins untill it suddenly powered off ... I tried to power on once again but nothing happened .
I reopened the chassis and I found out that there was one of the CPU fan wires jamming the fan , so i released it and plugged all the wires again but still no luck . Then i came to think that what happened must've destroyed something so i tried to test each part separately and the result was all working great except the PSU . when I tool it out and tried to connect the pins 16 and the 17 together to see if it would work (the PSU fan) but it didn't , all what It did was that "tick" sound and the PSU fan moved a tiny bit every time I try to connect them .

I realized it was a faulty PSU from the begging so I returned it and got a new CoolerMaster K281 (500W also) . I then put everything together and started working on the PC again and this time I made sure everything was working fine without any fans jamming on it's own wire , 3mins and it went off once again ... all I can tell is that everything that happened before happened again .

now i know you might say the PSU was not enough for these components .... well when i bought the first one I bought 2 not just one as i wanted to make Two copies of the same PC and the other one actually is working really well right now .

so My question

What is the possibility for a motherboard or any other component to fry a PSU dead ?

Could this by any means be caused by the graphics card ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

What happens now when the power button is pressed?

Your PSU is one of the lowest quality PSUs out there, but strange that two would fail within minutes of installation.

I am concerned that you may have fried your CPU by not providing any cooling.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi,

well , I kinda figured out it was a poor quality PSU, but what are the odds that 2 PSUs are fried the same way while there is another one just like these 2 working well right now.

Here's what happen when I press the power button
The CPU fan and the PSU fan just spin a little tiny bit and that's it nothing happen after that when I try to press power again unless i disconnect the power cord from the wall and then plug it back it spin the same little tiny bit.
and the PSU makes a ticking sound when i press the power button but i could hardly hear it since it was a single quite "tick" .

about the CPU being fried ... well I guess not
when I replaced the whole chassis it actually turned on and started booting but when I powered it off it never went back on again .... same as the first time ... only works for one time until you turn it off then it never comes back on .. ever

Thanks for the quick reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

See if you can get the PC to boot by bench testing it:

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...er-918754.html
Closed Thread