Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Can a ASUS m4a88td-v evo/usb3 with a 8 pin eatx 12 v turn on with a 4 pin eatx

This is a discussion on Can a ASUS m4a88td-v evo/usb3 with a 8 pin eatx 12 v turn on with a 4 pin eatx within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Recently my Power Supply Unit(PSU) failed.. I have a Asus m4a88td-v evo/usb3 mother board, since the. PSU is dead ,and

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Recently my Power Supply Unit(PSU) failed.. I have a Asus m4a88td-v evo/usb3 mother board, since the. PSU is dead ,and I do not know if it MOBO was damaged too. This mother board uses a 8 pin eatx, could it turn on with a 4 pin eatx. What could happen to the board?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Run the motherboard with the correct power plugs. You posted this question because something might bad happen if you do this. You are exactly right.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

My System

I agree. While it is not likely damage or more damage will occur with a different supply, when potentially faulty electronics are involved you can never be certain. And since we are also talking about the CPU and RAM and any/everything else connected to the motherboard at the time that could be destroyed when applying power, the risks are even greater. So I agree again; trust your instincts. Wait until you have a properly configured replacement PSU, remove all but one stick of RAM, unplug your drives and any extra devices not need, then try. If it boots through POST (power on self test) and halts when it cannot find a boot drive, that's a good sign the board, CPU and that 1 stick of RAM are still okay.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Looking at your mobo model as listed....I don't see any 8 pin connectors at all on the mobo.

OK...taking another look I see that there is a plug on the 8 pin CPU slot...and acording to the manual, you can use either a 4 pin or 8 pin (page 53, chapter 2-35).

For a fully configured system, we recommend that you use a power supply unit (PSU) that complies with ATX 12 V Specification 2.0 (or later version) and provides a minimum power of 450 W.
• Do not forget to connect the 4-pin/8-pin EATX12 V power plug; otherwise, the system will not boot.
• We recommend that you use a PSU with higher power output when configuring a system with more power-consuming devices. The system may become unstable or may not boot up if the power is inadequate.
• If you are uncertain about the minimum power supply requirement for your system, refer to the Recommended Power Supply Wattage Calculator at Support Center | ASUS USA for details.
• If you want to use two high-end PCI Express x16 cards, use a PSU with 1000W power or above to ensure the system stability.

reference link: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4...USB3/overview/
Old 07-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
and acording to the manual... .
Ah ha! The old FTFM trick! I see how you are now!

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread