Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Buzzer removal in an apc back-ups es 750

This is a discussion on Buzzer removal in an apc back-ups es 750 within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an apc back ups es 750 but the back up battery is bloated and no longer usable so

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rich-M
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have an apc back ups es 750 but the back up battery is bloated and no longer usable so the apc emits this high pitched buzzer that i didn't like. However, the apc still functions as a big power strip so i opened it up and tore out the buzzer like a neanderthal and that brings me to my question, can i leave it like that or is that dangerous? I saw a similar post on this site where the guy replaced the buzzer with a 330 ohm resistor and i was just wondering if i had top do that as well or if i can leave it as is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

It is almost impossible to answer that without seeing exactly what damage you did to it so I would say no on principle because it sure doesn't sound safe to use.
Deejay100six and oscer1 like this.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:59 AM   #3
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

If you needed a UPS before do you not still need a working one, best replace it.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Why didn't you just replace the battery? Then the UPS would have been usable as an UPS again. It is not common but not rare either for those battery cells to swell up. In extreme cases, they can crack and leak battery acid so you need to remove it and take it to a battery recycling center (Best Buy and most auto parts stores will recycle them).

I think disabling the buzzer is like putting a piece of black tape over your car's Check Engine light - a bad idea.

BTW, you don't have to buy replacement batteries from the UPS maker. I NEVER do. Just search on-line for UPS SLA (sealed lead-acid) batteries and find the replacement. You MUST get the same voltage. You should get the same Amp-hour rating but you can go larger - just not smaller. That is, if your current battery is a 12V7Ah (12 volt 7 amp-hour) battery, you can get a 12V8Ah. Also make sure the connectors are the same, they will be either F1 or F2. If you have more than one cell in your UPS, note how they are strapped before taking apart. And I recommend you replace all at once.

Shop around at different places. Prices change almost daily. And be sure to factor in shipping. One site may have lower prices on the batteries, but charge more for shipping. Another site may charge more for the batteries, but offer free shipping. And the next day, they change it all up again.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 05-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

All i did was take the buzzerrout of the circuit board, Is it safe to use as a simple power strip, or will i have to solder the buzzer back on and just replace the battery. My intent is to use it as a power strip, I could order a new battery but i don't want to, that part is not important for me
Old 05-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
Is it safe to use as a simple power strip
I would say no. I mean it should be safe in terms of it will let your house burn down. But most UPS do not protect from excessive surges and spikes in the same way a surge and spike protector does. Instead of shunting excessive current into MOVs and out to Earth ground, they shove it into the batteries because they can easily absorb that kind of abuse without damage - good batteries that is. So if that is your intent and you don't wish to go for replacement cells, I recommend you just go buy a surge and spike protector. Just don't expect the same level of protection you get with a good UPS with AVR.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread