User Tag List

Burning PSUs

This is a discussion on Burning PSUs within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. As Im starting up with new motherboard (Asrock G31M-VS2) and new cpu (Intel dual core E5500) and smoke is coming

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

As Im starting up with new motherboard (Asrock G31M-VS2) and new cpu (Intel dual core E5500) and smoke is coming out of the PSU after 10-15 seconds. I have tried with three different 300W PSUs. Same outcome. They werent faulty to begin with. Neither is the motherboard. RAM is Corsair 1GB+2GB 667MHz. All cables are connected correct.

These are the PSUs:
Delta Electronics Model: DPS-300AB-19 B Rev 01 F
Delta Electronics Model: DPS-300AB-19 B Rev 02 F
Q Technology Model: ENP-0730 QT

I have never seen this problem before. Anyone who has a clue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Emeritus

None of the PSU's listed are good quality but it sounds like a short.
Do you habe one standoff, no more noe less, for each mounting hole in the Mobo?
It is always advisable to test new components on the bench before assembling in the case and I would advise doing so.

Remove everything from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

Now I have booted the system outside the case and it works fine. There is built in standoffs (bumps) in the case. Five out of six screws can be used. Im kind of scared of putting the mobo back in the case. Dont want to fry a fourth PSU. As I can see, there is no connection between the mobo and the case except where the screws are attached.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 02:22 AM   #4
Registered Member

Now I have fried a fourth PSU.

A brand new 350W Deltaco. (cant afford to fry high quality)
Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #5
Registered Member

Moved it all over to another chassi with yet another psu and now everything works fine, although I needed it to work in the first chassi.

Anyway, thanks for the effort!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

As Tyree pointed out, it really sounds like a short in the case.

If you decide to try the other case again, make certain that you habe one standoff, no more no less, for each mounting hole in the Mobo.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
Emeritus

If the premolded mounting points (bumps) on the Mobo mounting tray are not identical to the Mobo it is not a good idea to use that case.
The only option would be to grind off any mounting points that do not match up with the mounting holes in the Mobo.

Closed Thread