Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

BSOD and unrecognized boot drive until unplug/replug...

This is a discussion on BSOD and unrecognized boot drive until unplug/replug... within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey there, Quick background: I've built a number of PC's in my day, but I'm certainly not an expert. This

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey there,

Quick background: I've built a number of PC's in my day, but I'm certainly not an expert. This problem has been plaguing my home media server for a while but I've not done much about it because my roommate has web server running on it too and so I'm always super cautious about trying to minimize downtime.

So this has been happening for a while so I have no idea if I put some sort of "new hardware" in that caused it...to me it feels like it's been going on since I built the thing. The specs are in my profile, but basically it's an AMD 6-core machine with 16GB of memory.

The BSOD I am getting is attached, but essentially the computer just craps out randomly (sometimes when we're using it, sometimes when we aren't). It's an "always on" machine so I wondered if that could be a contributing factor, but the weird thing is that it will stop recognizing the SSD (which is the boot drive) until I've powered down and physically unplugged the power to the PSU. Then I can plug it back in, flip the PSU switch and turn it on and it recognizes it just fine.

So, my immediate thought is memory, but as I can't really "force" it to BSOD and I don't really have extra memory laying around, this is hard to test. Any thoughts? It's not the end of the world as I don't typically game on this machine, but I'd like to fix it/replace whatever I need to when I can.

Let me know any info you need or tests I should run. I think I'll run Memtest tonight.

Thanks!
Jonathan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0134.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	166114  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Emeritus

Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.
Was any new hardware added just prior to the BSOD?
What configuration is the 16GB of RAM (i.e. 4x4 - 2x8 etc.)?
Try using one stick of RAM at a time or run MemTest one stick at a time letting make at least 7 passes per stick.
The F4 Error indicates the reboot after not being shut down properly.

Closed Thread