Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Bought new RAM - isn't recognized?

This is a discussion on Bought new RAM - isn't recognized? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys. I have this pre-built PC. I wanted to add another 8 GB of memory. I bought this 2x8

Old 02-21-2020, 11:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys.

I have this pre-built PC. I wanted to add another 8 GB of memory. I bought this 2x8 GB pair of memory sticks. When I replaced my 1x8GB stick with these 2x8GB's, my monitor wouldn't detect anything and wouldn't turn on.

I went through tech support to find memory sticks compatible with what I have and I really thought these were fine. Are they incompatible or is something else wrong? I've read something about maybe updating BIOS, will I have to do that? Because I don't know the first thing about it.

Thanks for all your help.
mankvill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2020, 03:08 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

First things first, ASRock does not recommend updating the BIOS if you're using a Pinnacle Ridge CPU on the system. Your PC uses the AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, which is a Pinnacle Ridge CPU, so I wouldn't recommend updating the BIOS.

Secondly, if you do not already have a copy of the user manual for your motherboard, download it from here. It comes in handy at time like this (installing memory). It tells you how to handle and install memory modules. Since your motherboard only has two DIMM slots, this should be pretty simple and straightforward. Make sure the system is turned OFF and the power cable is unplugged before inserting a stick OR handling the insides of your PC! Test each module/stick separately, that is, insert one of the new sticks into slot A1 or B1 and power up the system. Make sure to push it in firmly so that it goes all the way in and sits tightly in the slot. It may take a few seconds for the system to register the new ram, so give it at least 30 seconds and see if it POSTs. Also, turn off the monitor and turn it back on to force it to poll its various input channels for video, just in case it is not actively polling them for a signal. If the system will still not POST with either of the new sticks, and will POST just fine with the old stick, then you may have received a bad set. It's highly unlikely that both sticks in the set are bad though. You could also reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for a few seconds after inserting a new stick, then power up and see if the system POSTs. Let us know how it goes.

The new RAM is compatible and featured in the QVL of tested/supported memory here, so they should work as long as they are NOT defective and are installed properly.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

Did your system try to POST? What did you see or hear happen when you tried to boot? fans spin? any beeps?
SpareChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

In tested ram I don't see but a few 3200 speeds tested for that board....I would bet the ram is not compatible I would return it and choose from here which is tested compatible ram:
ASRock > B450 Pro4

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:46 PM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
In tested ram I don't see but a few 3200 speeds tested for that board....I would bet the ram is not compatible I would return it and choose from here which is tested compatible ram:
ASRock > B450 Pro4
You're looking at B450 Pro, but OP's system has the ASRock A320M motherboard.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:32 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Yikes sorry about that not sure where I got model number from.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote