Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Booting problem and RAM

This is a discussion on Booting problem and RAM within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! For a week now, I have had problems getting my computer to properly boot. When I push the power

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello!

For a week now, I have had problems getting my computer to properly boot. When I push the power button, the computer will often fail to properly turn on, showing as none of the USB devices (Mouse, keyboard, headset) respond and the screen not recognizing the HDMI output. The internal parts of the PC (Fans, CD reader) do work seemingly as intended though. The computer will properly boot randomly after turning the computer on and off using the power button.

I have done some testing with the cover off to see what is wrong, and something I notice is that only one RAM brick lights up (Always the same brick) when I turn the PC on. It will stay that way until I turn it back off. Whenever the PC properly boots, I notice that both RAM bricks light up and then quickly dim out, turning on another red light nearby on the motherboard.

So my hypothesis is that the RAM brick having trouble lighting up means that it is partly broken, and that the computer fails to recognize it. I have tried changing slots, but it seems that it is the brick itself. Is this a known issue? I am thinking about buying a replacement brick.

I am unable to provide a list covering my PC parts at the moment, but I believe the problem is general enough for it not to be a problem.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Are you running the latest system BIOS?

Also, is the BIOS running factory defaults?

Please preform a MemTest86 test using this guide here:

How to perform a MemTest86 Test - Tech Support Forum
Old 10-15-2016, 02:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for the guidelines, it helps me identify the problem.
I will do some research on the BIOS, and I will do a MemTest as soon as I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I notice is that only one RAM brick lights up
Not sure what this means. Does you RAM have an LED on the stick (and note they are called sticks, not bricks)? Or just the motherboard?

Since you seem to have isolated the RAM "stick" that causes problems, have you tried running without it? If so, does it boot properly with that one removed? If so, then it would seem you sorted out the problem yourself. :)

If it does not boot properly regardless, I would want to ensure I am supplying good power so if me, I would swap in a known-good, spare/borrowed power supply and see if you still have problems.

When you are swapping RAM sticks (or doing any maintenance inside the computer), you MUST take the necessary ESD control precautions to avoid any static in your body zapping your sticks (or the motherboard, CPU or any other nearby ESD sensitive device). Make sure you unplug the computer from the wall, then touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching in or touching the RAM sticks. And be sure to never - as in never ever touch the electrical contacts of the RAM sticks. Handle only by the side edges.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 10-16-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Windows 10 Pro x64, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Update 1, Windows 7 SP1 x64 & x86

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Bright View Post
Not sure what this means. Does you RAM have an LED on the stick (and note they are called sticks, not bricks)? Or just the motherboard?
While many people call them sticks, most memory manufacturers call them Modules.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
While many people call them sticks, most memory manufacturers call them Modules.
Absolutely true! Or just "computer memory" or "RAM". To be 100% accurate, a memory "module" is really the individual IC (integrated circuit or "chip") that is mounted on the PCB (printed circuit board) of the RAM "stick". There typically are 8 or 16 modules per "stick".

Sticks is just "slang" and more properly indicate extra memory you add through a card reader or USB port. I have never seen a maker use the term, only users.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread