Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Are any of these three ram kits compatible?

This is a discussion on Are any of these three ram kits compatible? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have 3 different brands/types of ram, and I'm trying to find out if any of them are compatible with

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have 3 different brands/types of ram, and I'm trying to find out if any of them are compatible with eachother. I don't entirely know how to tell if they would be compatible. So far I've gathered that the motherboard would likely adjust the MHz to the lower one, and not sure about voltages etc.

My motherboard is an Asus, and is this model: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX2/

I have three kits of 8gb of ram, they are:

Kingston HyperX Genesis, 8gb kit, 1600MHz. Grey one : Kingston HyperX Genesis | Ebuyer.com

Ballistix Sport, 8gb kit, 1600MHz : Ballistix Sport 4GB DDR3-1600 UDIMM | BLS4G3D169DS3 | Crucial.com

Corsair Vengeance, 8gb kit, 1866MHz (9-10-9-27, 1.50v) : Vengeance® — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R)

I read somewhere that the Ballistix one can be clocked to 1866MHz, not totally sure on that, or if it would help.

I have tried the Kingston and Corsair together, they appeared to work initially and started causing some crashes later on I assume those do not work. I did not change anything in the bios for this test, and they were running at 1333MHz. And if it's any use, I have CPU-Z info from both of these.

Another thing I'd like to add is that I tried the Kingston set on its own. It was set to 1333MHz rather than 1866MHz. (Wasn't aware at the time that you had to change something in the bios to set it its 1866MHz) This set did appear to be causing some crashes when I tried it. Can I ask if those crashes could be related to it being run at 1333MHz, or can that ram run fine like that? It is possible that that set is damaged. I'm not bothered enough to run tests on them if that's the case, they are just a spare set. However, I'd still like to know if they would be compatible, just for curiosity reasons.

Would be happy if someone could give me some insight here. The Kingston HyperX is what I'm primarily using, if it comes to buying new ram, I know that one is now discontinued. If I wanted to find out if their newer HyperX range is compatible, what would I look for? Or is it just better to buy a 16gb kit and not bother with it?

I may have written quite a wall there, sorry if it's long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Memory really shouldn't be mismatched, it typically ends in crashes and failures like you discovered. Out of the three, the Kingston and Crucial ones would be the ones I would test together.

All you need to know about RAM - Tech Support Forum
Old 01-29-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome. I took a look at all that info about ram, it helped quite a bit. Still have some questions though.

If I try the Crucial and Corsair ram together, should I enable this X.M.P setting, since the Corsair stick runs at 1333MHz without it? And if so, would I be leaving everything there on default or auto settings? Any changing that would need to be done there is beyond what I know.

Second, I may test that Corsair set again to check if it is faulty. Would it running at 1333MHz rather than 1866MHz cause any of that? Doesn't sound like it would but that's not something I could find information on.

And third, what is at risk when I try this? If I don't mess with settings or only switch X.M.P on/off, is there risk to damaging the ram, or anything beyond that? And if so, how likely is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable17 View Post
If I try the Crucial and Corsair ram together, should I enable this X.M.P
No. They must be matched pairs.

Combining unmatched pairs will cause system instability.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Same comments as above. Mixing memory really shouldn't be done. They don't play nicely.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:43 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Same comments as above. Mixing memory really shouldn't be done. They don't play nicely.
It can be done, but don't expect it to work in XMP or Daul/Quad channel mode.

If you're only concerned about massive amounts of ram, over speed and stability then go for it. You'd have to set the ram settings to the lowest of the bunch.
Closed Thread