Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Adding Slightly different RAM

This is a discussion on Adding Slightly different RAM within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, Firstly, the stuff you need to know... Motherboard: Gigabyte EP43-DS3 RAM: 2x1gb of DDR2 Corsair CPU: Intel Quad

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys,

Firstly, the stuff you need to know...

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP43-DS3
RAM: 2x1gb of DDR2 Corsair
CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600 @2.4ghz
Windows 7 32bit.

(Slot 2 and 4 are the same)

My PC has been running slow recently and I think it's because it lacks RAM. Firstly, is that RAM looking correct? As in, I'm pretty sure it's meant to be 2gb of 800mhz RAM, but it only shows 400mhz per slot. Is that because it's running dual channel or something?

Secondly, I have a spare 2x1gb of RAM which I want to install. The RAM is slightly different, but still Corsair. It is still DDR2, still 800mhz, but the timings are slightly different. The timings on the new RAM are 5-5-5-12. I'm unsure what the timings are on the current RAM, but I know they are different.

Should I be okay to just slot this spare RAM into the two free slots, or will they conflict?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Your DDR2 RAM is running at 800 Mhz (400 x 2). Here is a explanation:

Double data rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Registered Member

Ok cool. I thought it was, just wanted to check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

As for your second question, you might want to check Crucial's memory adviser and see if the other two sticks are listed as compatible with your system. If they are compatible then they should work. You need to put the two different stick types in separate channels though. Be aware too that all of your memory will probably default to the settings of the slowest memory stick.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

So I would put the old RAM in slots 1 and 3, and the new RAM in slots 2 and 4?

I did the Corsair memory adviser and the only one that came up was the one I currently have. ( XMS2 DHX )

I see no reason why the new RAM wouldn't work though. It's the same brand, MHZ and DDR2. Guess I'll just have to try it and see what happens.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

The reason it most likely won't work is you have chosen to hang in with the most unimportant piece of info. Cas Latency, Ecc factor and density are what makes ram incompatible and that is why your second ram sticks do not show as compatible. Ram is so cheap today, why not buy all new where you have a better chance.
I mean you can try the other ram and it will either fail to boot which would be the best thing, or boot and look like there is nothing wrong and sooner or later shower you with a myriad of seemingly diverse and unrelated issues it will take you months to figure out it the incompatible ram.
I build a lot of systems and if I cannot find any ram listed as compatible for the motherboard I want to use, I choose another motherboard. it is as simple as that.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

The timings on your current ram are 5-5-5-18 as stated on the CPUz report you posted above.

Your ram should be in Slots 1 and 3 is the CPU cooler in the way or is there some other reason you have them in 2 and 4 ?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Registered Member

Ah okay. I've had a look around and all the 4gb RAM are £60-£70, which isn't cheap for me.

I don't think there are numbers on the slots and I just happened to put them in 2 and 4. I don't think it makes a difference.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Put the two sticks you have in and see what happens, you won't damage anything, the worst is it just won't boot until you remove them.
Closed Thread