Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

ACER Crashes during and after start up; becomes totally unresponsive

This is a discussion on ACER Crashes during and after start up; becomes totally unresponsive within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an Acer 5720 Core 2 Duo with 2GBDDR Ram, and I'm running Vista. So, the other day I

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have an Acer 5720 Core 2 Duo with 2GBDDR Ram, and I'm running Vista.

So, the other day I was doing my usual internet browsing whilst seruptitiously updating my resume and looking for a new job, when suddenly everything frose. I left it for quite a while, but nothing would respond. Even the magic CTRL, Alt + Delet combo did nothing, so eventually I turned it off.

Since then, I've tried restarting in Safe Mode to no avail; the same thing happens. During boot up, the computer will also crash on the ACER boot screen, and takes ages to start up. On occasion, it doesn't even start; rather the motors all start and then everything shuts down again.

I've also found that it'll start and everything will load, and it wont freeze at all until I try to do anything (just moving the curser crashes it). I can tell it's still functioning because the clock is running, but this is only without any programs. It does still have so anti-virus stuff running,a dn even managed to anounce that Avast had updated (although, the sound was very stuttery for this).

I've tried swapping the RAM modules round, but this doesn't seem to have made any difference. I don't really know what to do, but I suspect that it's either the RAM or the Mother board (hopefully the RAM). I don't really know very much about computers though, but this is what it seems most likely to be after doing some research.

So I suppose my question is: "does anyone have any suggestions for what I can try to improve my diagnostic accuracey, or ideas on how to fix it?"

I doubt it's a software problem unfortunately, so I want to try running memtest86, but as yet have not had access to a CD writer to make the bootdisc.

Any suggestions or help would be really appreciated. I can't really afford to send it away, and I don't want to replace parts unless I'm sure it'll fix the problem.

Thanks a lot .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

and welcome to the Forum

I would start with running diagnostics on the hard drive:

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

See this for how to make a bootable cd

If the drive passes the diagnostics, Probably worth testing your memory . . click on the link to Memtest in my signature . . let it run on one stick at a time overnite or until it starts reporting errors
Old 02-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the help Rich. Further to your above advice, is there an easy way to tell which of the diagnostic tools would be best to use? As Acer isn't on the list, is there a way of knowing who made the hard drive, or which utility to try?

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

If you don't know the brand of the hard drive, try the Seagate tools . . they run on most drives
Closed Thread