Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Acer Aspire 8930 power problems

This is a discussion on Acer Aspire 8930 power problems within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all I have just attempted to use my Acer aspire 8930 after a few days of rest. I plugged

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 02:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Evil

Hi all
I have just attempted to use my Acer aspire 8930 after a few days of rest. I plugged it in and the blue power light came on as usual but as soon as I turned the power on the blue power light went out.
The Laptop booted up but after about a minute it just died on me. I unplugged the power and reinserted it again and the power light came back on. I went through the same process again and got the same result. I did notice this time that there was about 10 minutes of power left but it still shut down.
I tried booting the LT without the power adapter plugged in and it booted up fine and stayed running until the 10 minutes were up then shut down.
I then left the power adapter plugged in for about an hour removed it and booted, when I checked there was about 25 minutes of power avalable, I left the LT running and it shut down after the 25 minutes was up.

Recap:
Power adapter in power light shows.
Turn power on power light goes off
Laptop does not charge.
With Laptop plugged in but turned off Laptop charges.

Please can someone help me.
Kind rehards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2016, 07:15 AM   #2
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Hmmmmm.....I am thinking it could be either a defective battery or AC adapter power port that's soldered on onto the motherboard.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

The fact you left it charging for 1 hour and it ran longer (25 minutes instead of just 10) suggests to me it is working and (for a WAG) maybe the charger was not fully plugged in during the "few days of rest" and the battery fully discharged.

If me, I would leave it charging for a good 8 hours and see what happens, making sure the charger's connectors (from wall to notebook) are fully plugged in and you can see the notebook's charger/battery LEDs properly indicating charge is taking place.

If it works then, great. If note, then I too would suspect broken motherboard jack or bad battery.

That said, you should be able to determine if the charger and jack are good by running the notebook with the battery removed.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread