Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

a sudden FPS drop while playing games

This is a discussion on a sudden FPS drop while playing games within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i have a laptop which i use to play lots of modern games so these games require too much power

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 07:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to Omarado
Mistake

i have a laptop which i use to play lots of modern games so these games require too much power for the processor and the RAM and the video card so i have to plug in the laptop to the power so it works on AC power so it works with its full power to get the maximum FPS possible because playing on battery reduces the laptop performance so i have very low FPS so that's why my laptop is connected to AC power 95% of the time ......

but lately i noticed that sometimes i get a huge FPS drop or the game starts with lags and low FPS although the laptop is connected to AC power and i always check the small lamp in the laptop and it was green and i minimized the game to see if it's charging and it was charging but still i have very low FPS on the game although i had higher FPS on the same games before on same laptop and sometimes i could solve this by just unplugging and plugging in the laptop to the AC power again but sometimes that doesn't work so i would like to know what kind of problem is this and if this can affect the laptop in the future and if there's a way to fix it !!!

also i would like to know wether if keeping the laptop plugged in AC power for long time is dangerous or not also please note that this laptop is still under warranty till August 2017 !!!

My laptop SPECs:

Processor: Intel Core i5 4210U
RAM: 8 GB (7.89 Usable)
Video cards: Intel HD Graphics Family
Heavy duty video card: NVIDIA GeForce 820M 2 GB Dedicated

Supports touch screen and 360 degrees flip [ASUS]

~Thanks in advance~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Make sure your Windows power options are still set on High Performance Mode.

What are system temperatures looking like?

No, it does not hurt the laptop to keep it plugged in all the time.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post

No, it does not hurt the laptop to keep it plugged in all the time.
True but it may impact the life on battery. Every now and then a battery needs to be recalibrated. This can be done by letting the battery deplete to 10% and then fully charge it. Keeping a battery at 100% all the time - the battery will 'forget' when 0% is and will shut off around 20% or higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2016, 07:10 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
True but it may impact the life on battery.
This is often said but not really true if the charging system is working properly. If working properly, the system will stop charging when the battery is fully charged so there is no risk of overcharging the batteries. And it is not that the battery needs calibrating (there is nothing in the battery to calibrate). It is the battery monitoring/charging circuits in the notebook that may need to be recalibrated. And this is done by letting the notebook run off battery until it automatically goes into hibernate mode, then let it fully charge again.

While Lithium batteries have recently been found to suffer from "memory effect" issues, it is nothing near to the extent it is with older technology nickel cadmium (NiCad) and nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries used years ago. That is, they don't "forget" if they are fully charged or only partially charged like NiCad and NiMH batteries do. And in reality, this is a bigger problem as the battery gets bigger. That is, HUGE Lithium batteries as used in electric and hybrid cars suffer more than the much smaller batteries used in notebooks and other handheld, portable devices.

Note if this were a problem, then using an arbitrary number like 10% would cause the Lithium batteries to think they were fully discharged every time they ran down to 10%. With today's notebook batteries providing 10 hours or more of run time, that would be a whole hour lost. That would not be good.

Because the battery monitoring circuits can fall out of sync (lose calibration) with the battery's actual charge rate, most notebook manuals recommend cycling the battery - letting it run down, then fully recharge - once a month. Beyond that, you can leave the charger plugged in the rest of the remaining 353 days of the year and expect a full, normal lifespan for the battery.

Of course, all batteries will wear out eventually. Even so, I don't travel much anymore so my Toshiba A505 stays plugged in. Since I frequency suffer from SCF (senior cranial flatulence) I typically forget and probably cycle the battery 7-8 times a year. It just turned 6 years old and I still get almost 2 hours of run time (down from 2 1/2 when new) which is still pretty good, IMO, and nothing to complain about.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 03-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

It seemes my experience is yet still young. Last thing I want to do is spread myths. Thanks for the correction.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #6
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
It seemes my experience is yet still young.
Understand youth can be a blessing or curse, just as age and experience can too. One of the biggest problems with high-tech products is they advance at high-tech rates, often changing the rules along the way. Meaning, what was may no longer be. So years of experience often puts us stubborn old-timers in a rut - and behind the times. I see this all the time with folks who cut their teeth with XP. Many think what was necessary or beneficial with XP is still necessary or beneficial with modern versions of Windows.

Common examples are disabling Indexing - common with XP, no longer needed with W7/8/10. Disabling or setting a fixed size page file - common with XP, not needed and often even degrading for modern versions of Windows. W7/8 and now especially W10 are not XP.

Sometimes I think keeping current in IT is harder for us in the industry than it is for those in medicine. ;)

Old 03-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Quite expensive it seems to read up to date facts. Every time I believe I'm purchasing the latest infomation there's already a newer edition.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #8
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
Every time I believe I'm purchasing the latest infomation there's already a newer edition.
Yeah, that's the way it goes. My first love in consumer electronics started way back in the early 70s with audiophile quality audio reproduction equipment (amps, tuners, turntables, speakers, etc.). As a young sergeant in the USAF, I had to save my pennies, live in the barracks and eat in the chow hall until I saved up enough to buy what I wanted. Then as soon as I did, it seemed it was immediately superseded with something new and improved. It is the same with computer technologies too. There is always something new and better just around the corner. If you wait for that, you will always be waiting.

Closed Thread