Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

8GB stick + 2 x 4GB stick?

This is a discussion on 8GB stick + 2 x 4GB stick? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all. So, I originally had 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz sticks, however... I had some problems

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all.

So, I originally had 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz sticks, however... I had some problems with my pc so I took one of them out for testing. I accidentally spilt tea on the stick that I left out. So, now I only have 1 of the 8GB sticks in my PC. I tried to save the other stick, but it wont work now.

Anyway, so I was wondering would it be okay to purchase 2 x 4GB sticks of the exact same brand and same mhz of course, or would this not work? My motherboard (MSI 170-a pro) supports up to 64GB ram apparently (but I'm guessing it's more complicated than that ) My CPU is i5 6600k for reference.
If not, does it mean I should purchase a new set of 2 x 8GB ram? My ideal is 16GB ram as my PC is mostly for gaming.
Thanks for the help :)

EDIT: I am guessing it's not possible to use 1 x 8GB stick 2400mhz either...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017, 10:20 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Best results would most likely be gained from replacing all the existing memory with a 2 x 8GB kit, but either option should work.

I'ld look for a single 8GB with specs as close as possible to the bad one. No reason you cannot use a slower clocked DIMM.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:01 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Your motherboard supports Dual Channel memory architecture. So as gcavan noted, best results would be gained by using a pair of 8GB sticks. Your board will (should!) still work if you used 1 x 8GB plus 2 x 4GB, but not in full Dual Channel mode so the full performance capability Dual Channel provides would not be realized.

Now more RAM generally trumps faster RAM so adding 2 x 4GB to your current 8GB is something I might do IF I had a couple unused 4GB sticks laying around. But since this is about buying new RAM, I definitely would buy and recommend you buy another "matching" 8GB stick and not 4GB, or a new 16GB (2 x 8GB) kit.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
Registered Member

Ahh, I understand now. In that case, I'm probably going to wait until I can get another 2 x 8GB kit and use one of them along with the ram I have in the pc now for dual channel, and keep the other module as a spare ^^
Thank you very much guys!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
In that case, I'm probably going to wait until I can get another 2 x 8GB kit and use one of them along with the ram I have in the pc now for dual channel, and keep the other module as a spare
In theory (assuming the new RAM has the exact same specs as the old) that should work - especially if the exact same brand and model number. But note that theory and real-world don't always jive.

That is, while mixing the new with the old should work together, they might not. So if me, I would just install the both new sticks and save the old as a spare.

BTW, most RAM makers have on their sites memory wizards that either scan your computer or let you plug in your computer or motherboard information, then provide a list of compatible RAM for your board. I recommend you use those before buying. I note Crucial (and I suspect the others too) will guarantee their suggested RAM is compatible and will work with your motherboard - IF you buy directly from them. You can certainly buy from Amazon or wherever, and probably for a few dollars cheaper, but may not have the same compatibility guarantee.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Bright View Post
In theory (assuming the new RAM has the exact same specs as the old) that should work - especially if the exact same brand and model number. But note that theory and real-world don't always jive.

That is, while mixing the new with the old should work together, they might not. So if me, I would just install the both new sticks and save the old as a spare.

BTW, most RAM makers have on their sites memory wizards that either scan your computer or let you plug in your computer or motherboard information, then provide a list of compatible RAM for your board. I recommend you use those before buying. I note Crucial (and I suspect the others too) will guarantee their suggested RAM is compatible and will work with your motherboard - IF you buy directly from them. You can certainly buy from Amazon or wherever, and probably for a few dollars cheaper, but may not have the same compatibility guarantee.
I was just going to buy the exact same brand, same mhz modules to save myself the headache, price doesn't matter that much to me. But yes, you are probably right, I will use the 2 new modules together... even though in theory it should be okay to use one new/one old. But whatever :P
Cheers again.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I was just going to buy the exact same brand, same mhz modules to save myself the headache
If you can find the exact same brand and model number, then great. Sadly, models come and go.

The good news is DDR4 is still the current technology so hopefully you will have no problem locating the same model.

Closed Thread