Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

8Gb Ram installed (4gb reserved to hardware)

This is a discussion on 8Gb Ram installed (4gb reserved to hardware) within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello TFS team, Happy new year! I have a weird issue, for some reason I cant use all my 8GB

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to TheReaperOfHope
Roll Eyes

Hello TFS team, Happy new year!

I have a weird issue, for some reason I cant use all my 8GB ram.
I tried to fix it through /msconfig and nothing happened.
I also checked if BIOS recognises my RAM and it's just fine, Im so confused IDK what to do..

My Rams are (2x2gb) 1600MHz Kingston & (1x4gb) 1600 Mhz Kingston, both same CAS and other stuff, everything worked fine in the past until last 3 days.

The only solution Im thinking at the moment is to reinstall windows, but before I do that I'd like to know if there is anything else to try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ram.png
Views:	32
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	299393   Click image for larger version

Name:	taskmanagerram.png
Views:	27
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	299401  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I forgot to mention that for a moment yesterday I fixed it, everything was ok, then I turned off the pc, went to sleep and today in the morning I turned it on and the problem appeared again.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:42 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

UPDATE: I changed the sticks to A2 - B2 and A1 and everything works fine now, will keep this thread active for a couple of days just in case something change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
The only solution Im thinking at the moment is to reinstall windows,
I am glad you didn't reinstall Windows. That should always be the very last resort and even then is typically a poor option. It often does not work, especially with hardware issues because the hardware (and typically the drivers) doesn't change. You have to reinstall all your installed programs, restore all your personal data, and even if it does work, you don't learn anything to prevent recurrence of the problem.

It is interesting that Speccy showed 8GB installed (size) with 3 slots used, but only 4GB for total Physical. That would sure leave to me suspect the RAM (or board), not Windows.

Quote:
UPDATE: I changed the sticks to A2 - B2 and A1 and everything works fine now,
Had you made any changes before this problem started?

I am glad it is working now. Thanks for coming back with your status updates.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread