Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

6GB Ram installed but only 2.99GB usuable?

This is a discussion on 6GB Ram installed but only 2.99GB usuable? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I have been noticing my system has not been using as much ram as it has installed. On my

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi I have been noticing my system has not been using as much ram as it has installed. On my "About" tab in my settings it says "Installed:4.00 GB" (usuable 2.99 GB) But in my system I have 3x2 (6) GB of ram. Also on 3rd party programs, specifically CPU-Z (Its the only one I have used) has said I have 6.00 GB RAM installed.

Here are some system specs if they help
Storage Type: HDD
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH X58
Bios: American Megatrends Inc.
CPU: Intel core i7
GPU: ATI RADEON HD 4890

Here are some pictures comparing the different results I got

Click image for larger version

Name:	`.PNG
Views:	57
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	277034
Name:  2.PNG
Views: 175
Size:  11.6 KB

The first one is the Windows 10 settings result
The 2nd one is CPU-Z

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 12:29 AM   #2
Hardware Team
Games Team

My System

Check to make sure that MAXMEMEORY box is not checked under the boot configuration.

Press the Windows Key + X, then press R to open the Run box and type msconfig. Under the Boot tab make sure that Maxmemory is not checked.
If it isn't check the box and enter a bootable amount for testing (4096) is 4GB and will do. Reboot your system and bring back the msconfig box after the reboot and remove the MaxMemory check and reboot again. This should reset the registry value.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:51 AM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Hi. to TSF

What make and model is each stick of ram?

Your board supports triple-channel memory configuration (chapter 2 of its manual). Three memory sticks should be installed in DIMM sockets A1, B1 and C1. Cpu-z reports dual-channel, so make sure you have installed the sticks as recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_Karlos View Post
Check to make sure that MAXMEMEORY box is not checked under the boot configuration.

Press the Windows Key + X, then press R to open the Run box and type msconfig. Under the Boot tab make sure that Maxmemory is not checked.
If it isn't check the box and enter a bootable amount for testing (4096) is 4GB and will do. Reboot your system and bring back the msconfig box after the reboot and remove the MaxMemory check and reboot again. This should reset the registry value.
It increased my usuable ram to 4.00 GB instead of 2.99 GB.I am pretty sure the other 2 GB either have a hardware problem with it or the slot is broken.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

I tested each ram stick individually and one of them was not able to boot. The one just gave me a ram error red light in my computer. I don't know if its just a broken ram stick.
If there are any reasons why a certain ram stick wouldn't work besides it being broken please tell me.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Hi. to TSF

What make and model is each stick of ram?

Your board supports triple-channel memory configuration (chapter 2 of its manual). Three memory sticks should be installed in DIMM sockets A1, B1 and C1. Cpu-z reports dual-channel, so make sure you have installed the sticks as recommended.
They are Corsair XMS3 DDR3 ram
Old 04-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

If one stick won't boot, it will be a bad stick contact Corsair about warranty replacement.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench97 View Post
If one stick won't boot, it will be a bad stick contact Corsair about warranty replacement.
I looked up about warranty and I realized I don't meet the requirements. I need to have a proof of purchase (Which I am certain I don't have.)
If there are any other ways I can get a replacement from Corsair please tell me!
Old 04-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #9
Hardware Team
Games Team

My System

If you have purchased the RAM sticks from a store with a Debit or Credit Card you can ask the store for a re-print of the receipt by going into the store. You can use the Serial number (not the model number) of the RAM stick to narrow their search down.
For Tax and Legal reasons business are required to keep records of sales for 7 years (Depending on the Country) in which a customer must be able to re-acquire proof-of-purchase. Sales done with cash a harder to acquire and near impossible for the store to help you.

I actually did this 2 months ago for a PSU unit i purchased 2 years ago. I couldn't find the receipt went into the store gave them the serial number and my last 4 digits of my card and they found the record and printed the receipt. Used it to RMA the PSU which Corsair have now repaired.

Similarly if you purchased the RAM from an online store with a Credit Card, the Credit Card statement is proof-of-purchase and can be used for RMA.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_Karlos View Post
If you have purchased the RAM sticks from a store with a Debit or Credit Card you can ask the store for a re-print of the receipt by going into the store. You can use the Serial number (not the model number) of the RAM stick to narrow their search down.
For Tax and Legal reasons business are required to keep records of sales for 7 years (Depending on the Country) in which a customer must be able to re-acquire proof-of-purchase. Sales done with cash a harder to acquire and near impossible for the store to help you.

I actually did this 2 months ago for a PSU unit i purchased 2 years ago. I couldn't find the receipt went into the store gave them the serial number and my last 4 digits of my card and they found the record and printed the receipt. Used it to RMA the PSU which Corsair have now repaired.

Similarly if you purchased the RAM from an online store with a Credit Card, the Credit Card statement is proof-of-purchase and can be used for RMA.
Well my dad was the one who bought the ram package so I will have to ask him how he purchased it. Thanks for telling me other ways!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #11
Visiting Tech

My System

Do note that Corsair (most RAM makers actually) warranty their RAM for life. So it would be worth it if you can find the receipt or invoice or some proof of purchase.

One last thing you can try - though these days, because of anti-corrosion coating used on RAM it is a long shot - is carefully "erase" any dirt and grime from the electrical contacts of the bad RAM module with a clean pencil erasure. Do not touch the electrical contacts with your fingers and be careful not to scratch them, or erase too hard. You basically want to carefully polish the contacts clean. When done, blast away any erasure crumbs and debris with a can of compressed dusting gas.

And remember to ALWAYS unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body before reaching in or touching the RAM.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 04-04-2016, 08:06 PM   #12
Registered Member

Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Bright View Post
Do note that Corsair (most RAM makers actually) warranty their RAM for life. So it would be worth it if you can find the receipt or invoice or some proof of purchase.

One last thing you can try - though these days, because of anti-corrosion coating used on RAM it is a long shot - is carefully "erase" any dirt and grime from the electrical contacts of the bad RAM module with a clean pencil erasure. Do not touch the electrical contacts with your fingers and be careful not to scratch them, or erase too hard. You basically want to carefully polish the contacts clean. When done, blast away any erasure crumbs and debris with a can of compressed dusting gas.

And remember to ALWAYS unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body before reaching in or touching the RAM.
Well it turned out that when my dad bought the ram we lived somewhere else. He bought it from a store so I can't go there and ask for a receipt.
I tried the eraser but got no difference. I might just be stuck with 4 GB of ram but I am sure that is enough for me. In the future I am hoping to maybe make a new custom build but for now I will have to stick with this.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #13
Registered Member

I also think it could be a problem with the ram module slot. If I ever have another PC I can test it on I will test it. I still find it weird how certain programs still detect 6.00 GB and it says triple channel memory while windows itself only says 4.00 GB but dual channel?
Old 04-05-2016, 06:11 AM   #14
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I still find it weird how certain programs still detect 6.00 GB and it says triple channel memory while windows itself only says 4.00 GB but dual channel?
Yes, that is odd. I didn't notice that in your first post. Sorry.

So after doing some more digging, I found a very long thread on this exact problem (CPUz sees 6Gb, Windows sees 4Gb, and it is an ASUS X58 board). As seen here, the solution was to RMA the board.

Here's another thread with the same symptoms - 6GB vs 4GB on a X58 board that might be worth reading through.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread