Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

4x4GB DDR4 RAM on Dual-Channel mobo and LGA 1151

This is a discussion on 4x4GB DDR4 RAM on Dual-Channel mobo and LGA 1151 within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I currently have a pair of Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB (CMK8GX4M2B3000C15) in my mobo, got them around 4 months ago.

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

I currently have a pair of Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB (CMK8GX4M2B3000C15) in my mobo, got them around 4 months ago.

Now that I'm getting a new GPU I also want some more sweet gigs of ram, and here comes the questions

Is it safe and will this work? I'll buy the same set as I did before, again another 2x4GB.

And what problems could i face with it? Will I be able to put all 4 sticks at 3000MHz?

The mobo is Dual-Channel and the socket is LGA 1151.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Is it safe and will this work? yes and yes

Will I be able to put all 4 sticks at 3000MHz? Yes. Assuming of course your motherboard has four DIMM slots

what problems could i face with it? Barring any existing conditions, there should be no problems at all.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

But the thing is, it's not a matched set of 4 DIMMs, it's 2 sets of 2 matched DIMMs, I was told that there is a quite big risk due to no compatibility, but I'm getting literally the same pair that I already have, just and extra one, so... maybe you, or any1 have tried doing something similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Contrary to what you may have been told, individual DIMMs do not necessarily have to be identical in order to function correctly. Mismatched memory, such as DIMMs from the same or different manufacturers, and with different specifications will usually function perfectly, though they may need to be clocked manually.

DIMMs marketed as "matched pairs" are simply ones which have come off the same production run. In this instance, you are planning on purchasing the same model DIMMs; can't get more "matched" than that.

PS: Up until recently I have been using two sets of extremely mismatched memory in this PC (My System). Different manufacturers, different sizes, and different specification.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

Alright, i feel much safer about my purchase now :D Thanks for the clarification
Old 03-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
I was told that there is a quite big risk due to no compatibility
In terms of "risk" typically the worse that can happen is one bank of RAM will not be recognized. Or perhaps the RAM may only work in single channel mode instead of dual. That is, there is no risk of damaging either the new or old RAM. And more RAM typically trumps faster RAM so even if it does revert to single channel, you should still see a bump in performance. That said, 8GB is nothing to sneeze about so don't expect a big performance boost even the new RAM works in dual channel as expected.

Your main concern should be power. Adding two more sticks will increase demands on your power supply. While adding RAM typically does not require a larger supply, upgrading the graphics often does. This is because the graphics card/GPU is often the most power hungry device in our systems, even more so than many CPUs. So before you install a new card, make sure your current PSU can support it first. If not, budget for new supply at the same time. And don't skimp on quality. Get a good supply from a reliable maker. I like EVGA and Seasonic. And I recommend at least 80 PLUS "Bronze" certified, if not "Gold".

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 03-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #7
Registered Member

My specs will look like this once the new components arrive:

MOBO: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 ROG Strix (O8G)
RAM: x2 Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x4GB, 3000MHz, CL15)
PSU: Cooler Master G550M (550W, Modular, 80+ Bronze)
SSD: GoodRam Iridium Pro (240GB)
HDD1: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C (1TB, 7,2KRPM)
HDD2: Toshiba P300 Performance (1TB, 7,2KRPM)

My PSU should do fine
Old 03-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

If this was my system: I would opt at replacing the RAM entirely....I would get 2 x 8 GB sticks of RAM. Here are some excellent choices from Corsair......

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...69%20600006072
Old 03-04-2017, 01:39 AM   #9
Registered Member

I would too, but I don't want to waste my money so much. That first pair of ram cost me 300 PLN, and I bought it like 4 months ago. Same specs but bigger memory (2x8GB, 3000MHz, CL15) is 560 PLN. I find adding another pair of 2x4GB much better for my wallet.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Well I have one problem with all this and that is that normally buying the same ram later batch may not be a problem but we have to remember Corsair manufactures nothing and buying the exact same model # means nothing with them as they switch mfgrs like some people change brands of coffee therefor I agree with bassfisher if you want it to work flawlessly buy all new ram at 8 gb.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #11
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
but we have to remember Corsair manufactures nothing and buying the exact same model # means nothing with them as they switch mfgrs like some people change brands of coffee
This is true, but not just with Corsair. Samsung and Micron make most of the actual memory "chips" used by most of the memory "stick" makers.

But still, manufacturing techniques have improved tremendously in recent years so that memory "chips" coming off the assembly line are much more likely to be well within acceptable tolerances and match design specifications. For this reason, RAM makers no longer individually test and manually bundled matched sets when packaging dual and triple channel memory "kits".

At the same time, the memory controllers found in today's CPUs and motherboards have improved tremendously in recent years too, so they are much more likely to force slightly mismatched RAM to play well together.

So "IF" the RAM has the same specifications, even if different brands, they should, and usually do, work just fine together. Of course, until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will be units that don't work perfectly.

That said, regardless the actual chip maker, RAM manufacturing technologies have improved so much in general that it is really hard to find RAM that is NOT guaranteed for life.

My biggest concern is that RAM models come and go often - especially as faster RAM comes on line. So if you buy two sticks today thinking you can buy two more identical sticks two years from now, you might be disappointed to find that specific model is no longer in production.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread