Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

3 beeps on bootup

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  j2hydro 
#1 ·
My dads old Dell 4100. He had 1 stick of sdram 256MB. He bought another stick to give him 512. After he installed it, the computer would not bood. Now I have his box.
When I take both sticks out I get the three beeps, but no combination of the two sticks will boot the machine. I tried any combination of memory and slots to no avail.
I tried both memory sticks in another machine and they where recognized. Also old memory stick from other machine gave same results in dads 4100.

I pulled the cmos pin and placed in the other pins, then put it back. Still no luck with any combination of the three memory modules I have.
I pulled the battery from mobo then put in back still same result only way for box to beep is with no memory.

Anything else to try ?

#3 ·
when you cleared the cmos, did you unplug the machine, pop the battery out for 10 mins, and were successful in entering the bios menus?

The memory my Dad bought was a match, it works in my old box. I did unplug first and I use my static wrist strap. Also I waited 15 minutes but still to no avail. I am unable to get anything on video, If I put memory in the box, I get nothing, If I take it out, I get three beeps and then nothing.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.