Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Driver Support

User Tag List

Req assist w/unknown device in dev mgr

This is a discussion on Req assist w/unknown device in dev mgr within the Driver Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am a L1 Help Desk Analyst with 25 years experience. I have tried researching my situation but cannot

Old 03-31-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Hello,

I am a L1 Help Desk Analyst with 25 years experience. I have tried researching my situation but cannot find any results exactly matching my specifics. I have an unknown device in my DevMgr in Win10 64 bit. Here's the specifics.

Anomaly 1 - just did a HD to SSD upgrade seemingly 100% successfully. The SSD is a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO. I cloned my original HD with Acronis True Image perfectly. I installed the drive perfectly and Win10 has perfectly identified it in the DM.

Laptop is an HP Pavilion DV7 6b32US that is 64 bit and is Win10 and has 2 internal drives. The OS drive was just swapped out to be an SSD (details below) and the data drive is a mech drive of 1TB with no issues. 16GB RAM and the CPU is an Intel Core i7 running at 2.4 ghz with quad cores.

Anomaly 2 - I am on the Windows Insider Beta Preview on the fast ring. I have had no problems to date.

After completing the install I checked the DM to verify the drive was properly recognized and it shows up properly. This is when I discovered there is an "other device"/"Unknown Device" in the DM. The info on the details tab of the properties shows:
ACPI\HPQ6001\2&DABA3FF&3

I have done some research and the closest I come to identifying what it might be is several results discussing an unknown device from HP referencing the number 6001 and some search results say it is related to the wireless button and some say it is the webcam. I have tried removing the device and rebooting and it shows up again and I tried to have it update the drivers by having it search for it through Win Updt and no joy.

Hoping someone can help me out with this. I will say this about my decision to invest in upgrading this 8-9 yr old laptop - WOW! The machine used to take forever to boot and was slow on tons of things but now it is like a spring chicken again! Best $$$$ I spent in a long while!

Thank you for the help! Be well!

Sincerely,

Wndr Wmn
WndrWmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2020, 02:32 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

All the drivers on the HP site for that model are Win7/8 https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers.../model/5189525

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

You can delete it although unnecessary to do so in CP Add/Delete>HP Wireless Button Driver. Unless something isn't working I don't worry about Unknown Devices as I usually guess what they are.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

There are no Windows 10 drivers for this model, but you can download the Windows 8.1 driver and install that, if that fails; Drivers come down as zipped files and when clicked Extract to a place on the C: Drive, usually C:\SFWR or some such, and open the extracted download folder, right click Setup.exe and choose Properties/Compatibility make it compatible with Windows 8 and put a check in the box for Run As Administrator. Apply and OK, then double click Setup.exe to install the driver.

HP Wireless Button
https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58720.exe