Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Design Forum > Design Discussion & FAQs

User Tag List

Real-time Motion Video

This is a discussion on Real-time Motion Video within the Design Discussion & FAQs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi There, Newbie on the block by the way so be gentle! I'm after tapping into the knowledge out there

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #1

Hi There,

Newbie on the block by the way so be gentle!

I'm after tapping into the knowledge out there regarding realistic real-time video / audio compression and delivery over RF. I know that's a lot but let's start off small.

I have a pinhole camera + mic the output of which needs to be viewed/heard about 1Km away. The image will be motion video as the camera will be mounted on a robot that is moving about inside a room. From what I have read, decent quality motion video starts at around 24frame-per-second (fps) with 15fps being used for low-end stuff like webcam / videoconferencing. So assuming I go for 24fps and want a 640x480 image then I am looking at 640*480*24 = ~7.3Mbps (*bits*-per-second). Sound OK so far?

Now I wreckon this is going to be way too much for my RF link (details later) and so I have a number of options I guess : 1) compress 2) reduce image size and 3) reduce frame rate. Now the frame rate should stay at 24fps as the motion content is important the end-user so we have only image size and compression remaining. An image of 320x240 (which might be acceptable to the end-user) will give ~1.8Mbps - getting better. What I have no idea on is what I can expect from a MPEG4-10 / H.264 compression engine for this type of image size / content (motion video). Any thoughts anyone?

Regarding the RF link - well this aint designed yet. I am at the stage of trading-off on frequency vs. range vs. data rate vs. modulation vs channel bandwith. All good fun. I am looking to get operating in the 900MHz ISM band but the data rate / modulation concrens me down here.

Does anyone have any thoughts recommendations?

OK, it's been a pleasure - any help very much appreciated.

Regards

Andy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

Compression may be necessary. Currently the limitation for data bitrate is 6Mbps when transmitted over the air.
Closed Thread