Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Design Forum > Design Discussion & FAQs

User Tag List

Adding glow to images

This is a discussion on Adding glow to images within the Design Discussion & FAQs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This tutorial I found on MSN teaches you how to add the "post-process glow" to almost any image. I think

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

This tutorial I found on MSN teaches you how to add the "post-process glow" to almost any image. I think the result looks like recent PS2 games with the dark line around object on the screen.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Interesting effect. Will have to give it a try later.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #3

it is an interesting effect. certainly quick and easy to apply, but i don't know about the PS2 games. i don't have one. none of those link images would load for me, so i don't know if i got the right effect... i think they might have lost a little detail in the resizing as well

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
TSF Emeritus

That looks cool I have to try that!
Old 06-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

You pretty much nailed it, FH! Might want to turn down the gaussian blur a teeny bit, but the effect is still quite present.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Thanks eb. I've seen this effect before and wondered how it was done. I've seen it in films as well where they want to create a dreamlike effect. Also similar to the old fauvist/impressionist paintings.

Disable Social Media Buttons: adblockplus.org/en/features#socialmedia
Old 06-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

My room mate likes to steal my desktop PC so I haven't had a chance to try it. I refuse to do it on this laptop because we all know I'm anal about color accuracy. I'll post a few once I've completed them.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:37 PM   #8

Interesting. I do see a bit of what similarity to PS2 games your talkin about. I think like Big Red One kina?

Anyways, looks cool. I love the gaussian blurr filter. But I see people use it in odd ways like this. It looks pretty decent, but I use it to add depth to a image. So things farther away look blurry like they would in life kina. Or set it to 2-2.5 and set it to lighten for a nice shine. Anyways theres a little info if anyone wants to use it. >_>
Old 06-22-2007, 11:10 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Finally had time to try this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dezzz.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	14609  
Old 06-23-2007, 06:23 AM   #10
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Looks pretty neat EB

I think a watercolour effect would look good on the original too...or maybe even to liquify part of the background??
Closed Thread