Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Design Forum > Web Serving and Management

User Tag List

Website hosted on Australian server, site loads very slowly outside of AUS

This is a discussion on Website hosted on Australian server, site loads very slowly outside of AUS within the Web Serving and Management forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, My website is boldauctions.com.au Its hosted on an Australian server with uber.com.au, It loads okay within australia, when testing

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, My website is boldauctions.com.au

Its hosted on an Australian server with uber.com.au, It loads okay within australia, when testing on pingdom tools its about 6 seconds from the melbourne testing server, but about 15 seconds or more when tested from the USA.

Is this due to being on an australian server?

Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
Manager
- Alternative Computing
- Design

My System

Send a message via AIM to wmorri Send a message via MSN to wmorri

Hi,

Any website that doesn't load in under 3 seconds from anywhere in the world, is a website that is slow. There are a lot of things that can be done to make your website faster. Have a look at this site for the basics of what you can do for speed increases, and the wpcurve article with deeper insight on how to make your site faster.

To answer your question about hosting, it could be an issue, but until your serious about this business, or are making enough money to cover all experiences I wouldn't change your hosting.

Linux Forever!|html5 boilerplate
Old 01-12-2017, 11:34 PM   #3
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmorri View Post
Hi,

Any website that doesn't load in under 3 seconds from anywhere in the world, is a website that is slow.
Too generous. I'd say it's less than that. This website is WAY too busy and poorly put together. Doesn't give an immediate impression of brand and doesn't give an idea of what service you are selling. Needs a lot of help. Less is more. People don't put up with slow websites that are vague about what they do and put a lot of motion and unnecessary stuff. No one is impressed. It's annoying. They click back and you never see them again.

1) Check into your webhost for why it's slow. I don't have time to dig into it, but that's where I would start 1st.

2) Turn off a lot of that crap. Less is more. Rhetorical questions are the LAST thing you want to ask a prospective customer, after you've annoyed them with your overly-busy, ambiguous website that has too many pointless moving pictures that loads too slow. You might as well ask them "Do you want to get out of here? NOW?"

3) Get a CDN. Cloudflare can be free. If that's a WP site, there a plugin for CF.

4) reduce the size of your pictures. A pic can be 500 kbytes, or it can be 8 Mbytes. One loads faster than the other.

5) Install Google Analytics. That will tell you your bounce rate and other metrics such as where visitors go.

6) The drop down menu at the top annoyed me most of all, which fueled this ranty post. The marquis in the middle is cliche and if it exists it needs a point, or a purpose, other than to impress someone because you have a marquis and it moves around a lot. That's not "impressive", it's ANNOYING.

This is one of several legit website load time analyzers. It's been a couple of years since I messed with this stuff, so my knowledge may be dated, but one of these analyzers was REALLY GOOD and it would tell you on a page-by-page, pic-by-pic basis which elements in your website were good (green), questionable (yellow) and bad (red). Example this is where I learned that .PNG files are NOT smaller than .JPG files (which was what someone had told me) and they don't load faster. When I had (for example) 100 images and the 50 that were good were .jpg's and the 50 that were bad (slow) were .png's, I found an area that I could improve my page load times, so I converted them all to .jpg.

FYI, Google LOVES fast-loading pages. It's one of the most important metrics to get your website listed high for certain keywords. A mediocre site with fast loading pages will place higher than a high quality site that is slow, all other things being considered. Google tracks what visitors click when presented with an ordered list of search results and adjust those results accordingly, i.e. if the #4 listed site consistently gets more 1st time clicks than the #1 listed site, #4 will move up and #1 will move down, again, all other factors being equal. So page load times is EXACTLY where you want to be concerned about, and paying attention to. That, and obviously, the content, which is poor, IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #4
Troubled

https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.bol...om.au/9mAzgw9f

This is the site I was thinking of, I think. It gives a very detailed analysis of the site and tells you what's what. The pingdom site is good to monitor your website and it will send you an alert if your site goes down for some reason.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yeah thanks for that Walter, Your right about the content... Iv been recovering from a long time ilness so theres a lot that has just been left as it is, will get to that soon, but right now just need to increase the sites speed. That gtmetrix site is great, am going through all the main errors, and will likely move to a faster server as well.

Thanks again
Closed Thread