Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Design Forum > Web Serving and Management

User Tag List

VPN server for Epic gaming!

This is a discussion on VPN server for Epic gaming! within the Web Serving and Management forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. First off, apologies if this is the wrong section for this thread. I've recently moved to Thailand, and am going

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

Grin

First off, apologies if this is the wrong section for this thread.

I've recently moved to Thailand, and am going to be stuck here for a number of years. I'm an avid gamer, and you obviously require a decent connection to be any good. Unfortunately, even though i've bought the most expensive, fastest internet connection available in Thailand, the way they do things over here, as well as the poor infrastructure, means that it is desperately unreliable and random in its effectiveness. The Governments restrictions also means that you don't get anywhere near the advertised speeds, and the standard speed tests just lie to your face.

So, i've been doing my research into VPN servers. I'm from the UK, and i understand it would be possible to setup my own server at a location there, with a great (and reliable) British internet connection attached. I could then use VPN tunnelling to connect to it from Thailand giving me a much better connection. Am i right in thinking this would work? My computer knowledge is pretty limited, and i'm more than willing to explore any and all possible solutions to give me a decent enough internet connection for online gaming. So, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, any sort of ballpark figures on costs of servers for an individual looking to just achieve a good internet connection through a VPN connection, would be great.

Thanks in Advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

Your local connection speed will still impede your connection to the VPN. You won't get a more reliable connection than your local link to the Internet.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~*~Mixed Bag of Problems~*~
Hi, everyone! I have had a lot of problems with my computer lately and I'm hoping someone would be able to help me out. The most pressing issue right now is that my e-mail is sending out Spam links when I'm not even on my computer. The first time it happened, I changed my password, but tonight the...
TabbyCat725 Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 156 07-09-2012 07:50 PM
Windows 2003 Server and Windows 2008 Server
Hello, I have a problem. I have a old Dell Windows 2003 Domain Controller server. We purchased a new server, the old is out of warranty, Insurance. The thought is to add the new Dell 2008 R2 server to the Domain and then prompt it to Domain controller and demote the 2003 to a member. PS...
sblair_5 Windows Servers 20 04-06-2012 02:12 PM
[SOLVED] home VPN Software not connecting to office server
Hi there, I have an interesting issue. I have an iMac 10.6.4, and a PC laptop with windows 7 at home. I'm looking to connect them to an office server through VPN. I have an SMC wireless router at home and had an apple technician come out to setup my VPN, and correct software to log in. I...
Jazzman11 Networking Support 20 01-14-2011 01:28 PM
Vpn & ftp
Hello all, I am looking for method to backup data (via FTP) from one location (client) to a remote location (server) through a secured connection. I have goggled what I need to get done and I am still not sure whether I got the basic concept correct. Wonder if someone is kind enough to...
SorcererStone File and Application Sharing 1 01-03-2011 11:42 AM