Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Design Forum > Web Serving and Management

User Tag List

Server/API/App

This is a discussion on Server/API/App within the Web Serving and Management forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, merry xmas :) I wounder if someone could help me out a little. i am making an ios

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all, merry xmas :)

I wounder if someone could help me out a little.
i am making an ios app (not sure this is the right location to be asking but..) let me continue to explain. My app requires a server to achieve what i want it to do.
i have chose to get a Cloud server from 1and1.com but i need an API for my app to talk to, could someone shed some light on how i would install an API and where i could find some info on making an API?
lol bit of a n00b question but its the only wall i have to jump to get this app working, im more of a designer than a coder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

An API is an interface used in your application to utilize functions in another application.

If your app is designed to use a specific API, you install whatever software provides those functions.

Need to know what you're actually trying to accomplish in order to be more helpful.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

i will be wanting to store small data files on a server that can be downloaded and uploaded when a user needs them, through an ios app interface.
Music playlists to be specific
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

Do you have server software you're planning to use, or are you writing it from scratch?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

im guessing from scratch, sorry i know little about APIs, can they be just installed on a server? i had hurd you can piggy back off wordpress some how?
Old 12-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

The API is just an interface. It doesn't exist on its own.

Your software would be like a set-top DVD player. It connects to a TV to do certain things via the ports on the back of the TV. The ports are the TV's API. Each one expects to receive a certain type of cable, and a certain type of signal on the cable. The TV is the server software you use which provides functions which aren't incorporated into the DVD player, or which the DVD player can't complete all on its own.

If you're building software from scratch, there is no API to start; you specify, write, and implement your own. If you're using someone else's software, they'll have an API documented. You then use those calls in your software, and your software (if implemented correctly) will "just work" when connected to the server software which the API is written into.
Closed Thread