Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Design Forum > Web Serving and Management

User Tag List

Non Cpanel hosting

This is a discussion on Non Cpanel hosting within the Web Serving and Management forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. We have about 50 websites hosted all over the place with Cpanel hosting. We are not stupid. This client hosts

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

We have about 50 websites hosted all over the place with Cpanel hosting. We are not stupid. This client hosts with Austria Telekom who are a total nightmare.
There is usually a public_html folder to upload to but not so with Telekom. The only file provided in their directory is wwwroot.
I have published up to that without success and however I try I still get a 404 when I look for the domain.
The website is functioning perfectly on a spare domain where I developed it so I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with the site itself so my question is . . . do I create a new public_html file on their server ? If so, would it work ?? Or do I publish up to the wwwroot file which I have tried all ways without success ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

Your site files should go into the wwwroot directory. Is there anything in the site that relies specifically on the configuration of the web server? Is the webserver software the same on the development domain as it is on the AT domain?

Are you certain the error is 404 and not something like 403, 500, or 503?

Is there control panel software for AT, or are you connecting via FTP? If it's hosted on Linux, do you have shell access?
Old 10-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

I think the trouble is that AT are non-standard.
I tried placing all the files in the wwwroot folder but the site didn't work.
I got a 500 error not a 404.
Our office is speaking to AT today so we hope to get it fixed.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

You're quite welcome, happy to help.

A 500 error is much more in line with what I'd expect. The problem though, could be one of many things.

Essentially, the site code is doing something the web server software does not expect, either because it does not support the function or because the software does not support the function in the manner it is being used.

The most likely suspect is the use of .htaccess. A huge number of 500 errors come because of different levels of support for various functions used. In particular, for those which are used to rewrite URLs dynamically. If it's an issue with .htaccess, there's really no such thing as "standard," unfortunately. For each option available, there's really only "more likely to be supported" and "less likely to be supported."

Without knowing quite a bit more about your site code and the web server capabilities though, the above is just an educated guess though.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for that. You are spot on.
If I publish the site it displays without the navigation showing. When I add the htaccess file to the files on the server I get the 500 error.
As this site functions perfectly on any other server except Austria Telekom we are simply asking them to fix it and tell us what's wrong.
Apache not enabled maybe ??
SHTML not enabled perhaps ??
. . . . .or whatever.
We are just saying to them "Look at the site working perfectly on a spare domain that we have. Why doesn't it work on yours? Fix it !!"

I have better things to do.

Input much appreciated.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:59 AM   #6
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

Unfortunately, I can almost guarantee they won't. The most they're likely to do is tell you which directive in the .htaccess file is not supported.

If you use ForceType in the .htaccess file, you may try switching to the directive SetHandler. It can be dropped directly into place. If PHP is set to run as CGI (sometimes done for security reasons), then ForceType doesn't work.

It's possible, depending on the version of Apache running that neither will work. You may need to use the AddHandler directive, which is slightly more complicated. However, in most cases the above will work.

If you're not using handler directives to make sure specific extensions are parsed by the PHP (or another) interpreter, I'd likely have to see the contents of you .htaccess file to give a go at figuring out which directive is causing the problem.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

Telekom finally admitted that our site was being hosted on old Windows servers which were never updated.
They are moving it to new Linux servers which are state af the art and I guess that our problems will resolve later today.
What a pain !
Thanks for your input.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

Glad to hear it. Hopefully things smooth out now.
Closed Thread