Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Design Forum > Web Serving and Management

User Tag List

New site, new server

This is a discussion on New site, new server within the Web Serving and Management forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all I bought myself a domain name yesterday from Fasthosts.co.uk "www.area-51zone.com". I have changed the domain A record (on

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all

I bought myself a domain name yesterday from Fasthosts.co.uk "www.area-51zone.com". I have changed the domain A record (on the fasthost admin page) to my servers external "public" IP address. Im sure it takes around 24hours for DNS changes to reflect but as im now only a few hours away from that id like to sure that everything else is set correctly.

At the moment that domain name takes me to the website holding page. If i do a nslookup it gives me an IP that seems to be registered to Fasthosts, so does that simply mean the DNS record hasnt been updated yet? I had my website already running on a free domain from DyDNS but decided a .gotdns.com address was a bit tacky! All ive done server side is to change the bindings in IIS to the new domain name of www.area-51zone.com, is that enough to get it working? I was just a bit worried that in the process of setting up MS Exchange 2010 last night ive in-adeverntly caused problems by adding forward lookup zones for exchange.

Im probably just being impatient but maybe someone can put my mind to rest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Registered Member

I just noticed i may have made a mistake on the A record on fasthosts. I gave it the correct IP but there was also an optional box for a host name which had the suffix ".area-51zone.com" I typed in the name of my webserver as "a51-serv01" which then makes the full host name "a51-serv01.area-51zone.com" However my local domain is actually "area51.local"

Is that likely to cause a conflict, or is it ok to leave as is? For now ive removed the hostname from the A record as it was optional anyway. If it did cause a problem it will be another 24hours before i find out :(
Old 10-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

Another question

I've done another nslookup on "area-51zone.com" and it gave my public IP. I then did a tracert on "area-51zone.com" and it doesnt hop, just hits my public IP and ends. If i do a nslookup and tracert on "www.area-51zone.com" i get the fasthost IP and several hops.

You may tell im pretty new to this stuff, so il guess its because im not adding the "www." ?
Closed Thread