Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Design Forum > Web Serving and Management

User Tag List

How to say tst.x.com but reach upg.x.com ?

This is a discussion on How to say tst.x.com but reach upg.x.com ? within the Web Serving and Management forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I realize this is not strictly a web-server-mgt question, but I think the right expertise may be present here. Corrections

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

I realize this is not strictly a web-server-mgt question, but I think the right expertise may be present here. Corrections welcomed, I am a newbie here.

We have a WebLogic app server / web server setup. We run a Java program that does Web Services calls using the RightNow API. Our production site runs it, and updates (and reads) our Prod RightNow instance, using a URL like ourProd.custhelp.com . On our QC instances of our site, our WebLogic servers run the same pgm and it uses a URL like ourTest.custhelp.com . It updates our Test instance of RightNow.

Oracle has created an upgrade site, which we must test, including this Java program. It is at a URL like ourUpgrade.custhelp.com .

Ping tells me that ourTest...com and ourUpgrade....com both are the same IP address.

Admins tell me that the RightNow servers or routers must be analyzing the text in the URLs, and doing the necessary within their network. Web browsers do reach the two different sites by using the two URLs.

We do not want to change our QC sites to use the URL ourUpgrade.custhelp.com . Instead, we want to leave them as-is, but temporarily, we want them to actually reach ourUpgrade.custhelp.com without "realizing" it.

Is that possible? How?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Articles Team
Alternative Computing

My System

Correct me if I'm wrong here but this sounds like you want some sort of cloaked forwarding setup so someone going to ourprod.domain will be re-directed to ourupgrade.domain but the url stays at ourprod. If so then this is a change you would make either dns side through your hosting provider or through apache or iis on your server.

Registered Linux User #556090
Old 01-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

I think what I want is slightly different. I cannot change anything that the RightNow systems do (custhelp.com), or, how they are set up. I would instead like to change our own outbound traffic to target a different URL at the text level, but to do it outside of the program that is generating the traffic.

Maybe this is impossible. Maybe it ought to be impossible, for reasons of integrity and security.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Articles Team
Alternative Computing

My System

Hi,

I'm still not quite sure what you mean. I've got a slight idea that you might need to modify the htaccess file on your server(if it's Linux) in order to do what you want, but we'll leave the question open for other suggestions.

Steve

Registered Linux User #556090
Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

The only thing that comes to mind is setting up an intermediary DNS server with a CNAME entry pointing all your outgoing traffic bound for ourtest.custhelp.com to the site ourupgrade.custhelp.com

Closed Thread