Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Design Forum > Web Serving and Management

User Tag List

Hosting Challenge for RESTful application

This is a discussion on Hosting Challenge for RESTful application within the Web Serving and Management forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. As a favor to a friend, I offered to whip up a quick RESTful application using Play! (a Java-based framework).

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

As a favor to a friend, I offered to whip up a quick RESTful application using Play! (a Java-based framework). The app has a Mongo database backend and my thinking was that I would just throw it up on the cloud using Amazon EC2.

However, I have now realized that in order to be effective I really need this server to be able to support submitting some create operations that can only be allowed by administrators, so security is an issue.

I am a bit of an idiot when it comes to hosting options so I wanted to get some feedback from the community here. Is there a way to host a Play! application with a Mongo DB on an SSL layer? I don't think I need my own certificate (if that is an option as I could share one) and any IP is fine since this is only used by Java programs on business machines that will be configured to point to an IP Address.

It seems that a "Virtual Private Server" might be the best option for me. Does that sound right to you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Manager
- Alternative Computing
- Design

My System

Send a message via AIM to wmorri Send a message via MSN to wmorri

Hi,

I sent a user a message that has a lot of experience with this and they should be able to post and give you some good information.

Linux Forever!|html5 boilerplate
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Not sure how much help I will be here as I have no experience with RESTful or Play! for that matter and only moderate exposure to mongo.

I am a little confused about what you are trying to accomplish, if your building for a business that is local(all on the same network) you should really be setting up a Local Server for computing. Rather that be one server or a cluster it would be far better security and would remove a few headaches for you.

If you need to do significant cloud computing EC2 is a good option as Amazon has a rather robust API(Amazon EC2 API Tools : Developer Tools : Amazon Web Services) that could possibly send commands back so they could be executed locally.

Once again, I am a little confused on the purpose and business requirements so everything above is based off my speculations that could be completely wrong...

..Notepad++ | CoffeeCup | WAMP | GIMP | VLC | Debut | CometBird | Web Dev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxer View Post
I am a little confused about what you are trying to accomplish, if your building for a business that is local(all on the same network) you should really be setting up a Local Server for computing. Rather that be one server or a cluster it would be far better security and would remove a few headaches for you.
Very perceptive sir. Yes, indeed this would currently be applicable as an entirely local app, but the way I want to grow it out in the future means that I would prefer to have the remote server component. It's a manner of control for clients that won't pay, for example, or that want to link different geographical locations to the same user database.

So to simplify(?) the business requirements are to deploy a RESTful Web Service on some type of server that supports SSL and allows for installing a Java Play! application (which can be packaged as a WAR file, FYI) and run a mongo db.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I think the key issue here is security which you hit on in your first post.

Many platforms support SSL so that shouldn't be a problem but, setting up a remove application to fit your business requirements may be.

If you purchased a VPS(virtual private server) or a dedicated server you could likely access it through RDP(remote desktop) giving you a friendly development environment without having to deal with too much security. The drawback here is that both implantation tend to be rather pricey depending on the demands of the application. (disk space, CPU power, ram, open connections, speed...)

It also puts everything "out of hand" as far as the hardware goes... Not sure if it will ever be an issue but, for example we have had hurricanes and various other things knock out power for our server hosted in TX. Although they did have backup generators we had down time. (wasted time = wasted money)

I have also heard of raid clusters corrupting and causing issues... To shorten up my last few examples, if you are hosting any valuable or sensitive information you will need to have backups as well. This is usually provided by the hosting company but once again digs into your pocket.

I am also not sure how you would pass the commands back to the local computers to execute or if the business itself is even comfortable hosting the information off site.

The second alternative although far more pricey and work to set up initially would be to build the server yourself on site then set up the network for remote access.

This however opens up security holes(network would need to be carefully set up) as well as the need for a technician if things go bad. It would however give you direct access to run commands as well as the advantage of everything being local if you ran into problems.
If it's just for a small business I would probably go with a VPS, they are generally more than enough for moderate traffic and demands.

Everything is situation and there is truly no correct answer. Your preference is really what it comes down to... To be honest, anyone in the computer world knows you will likely be the one called when/if things go south.

..Notepad++ | CoffeeCup | WAMP | GIMP | VLC | Debut | CometBird | Web Dev
Closed Thread