Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Design Forum > Web Serving and Management

User Tag List

Home Server issue

This is a discussion on Home Server issue within the Web Serving and Management forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I run several home servers, I'm a newb at it but things are going well. I run Xerver on one

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

I run several home servers, I'm a newb at it but things are going well. I run Xerver on one machine, wamp on another and some file server app on another. I'm not doing most for anything other than fun and convenience.

I have one issue that is somewhat serious to me. I serve one site that is extremely simple and I serve it for one special person with special needs. We haven't been able to talk live since Meebo went down because her only device is an old Nintendo 3Ds. This isn't a matter of immoral activities. It's been a struggle to hold on to her because of her limitations.

So much for back story. I've just installed a super simple chat for her. It has no way to tell me that she is online. I'm looking for an app/script that will allow a button/link on the webpage to buzz/call/alert me on the server to when it is clicked.

Simply put, is there anyway for a visitor on a website to activate anything on the server side? A pop up window would be nice.

I can't tell you how much this would mean to her. Currently our only communication is a comment box on the website I serve for her. She is ill and I don't know how much time she has left. I'm a little desperate to solve this. I don't want to miss her visits.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

What is the OS on the machine serving up her website?

Old 10-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Windows 7

I'm okay at installing scripts (java, php) and I can tweak them. Writing something form scratch Is a stretch. But if I could find any example of a web page signalling the server I might get ahead with it. Don't much care what it is. I just need something I can see/hear change when she is there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

Try reading through the Windows examples here: PHP: exec - Manual

You could try using exec() to open a Windows pop-up box using the methods outlined here:
How to get Pop up message box using Powershell

Old 10-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjandr View Post
Try reading through the Windows examples here: PHP: exec - Manual

You could try using exec() to open a Windows pop-up box using the methods outlined here:
How to get Pop up message box using Powershell

I'll give it ago, but everything I've found like that sends output to the client.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:36 AM   #6
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

It should only output to the client if you use a command designed to display the results to the client, such as echo() or print().

Closed Thread