Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Design Forum > Web Serving and Management

User Tag List

Creating multiple vps

This is a discussion on Creating multiple vps within the Web Serving and Management forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all I have a few questions and i hope some one could please help. I have created a dedicated

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all

I have a few questions and i hope some one could please help.

I have created a dedicated server at home centos 6l, I assigned the centos setup a static ip address and port forwarded all incoming traffic from my router to the static ip address of the centos setup. I then installed cpanel.

after installation i typed in the browser my ip:2087 and it took me to whm panel login. (Great it works)

here's my question.

I have three domains

www.mydomain1
www.mydomain2
www.mydomain3

These three domains point to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com and the nameservers are setup and point to my ip i have assigned to the centos server at home

hows does the server at home know which domain name to show? how does cpanel distinguish which domain name is being requested and show that account.

My other question is.

I want to create my dedicated server in to 4 vps server.

I have 10 static ip address from my isp

heres what i thought and my understanding

install centos 6 as a basic server. assign a static ip to the centos setup and port forward to that static ip (lets say ip 123.456.45.80 as main static ip)

install openvz and create 4 vps each installed with centos 6 and cpanel

each creation of vps would have 1 static ip assigned to it upon setup lets say

vps 1 static ip 123.456.45.81
vps 2 static ip 123.456.45.82
vps 3 static ip 123.456.45.83
vps 4 static ip 123.456.45.84

all in coming traffic in my router is forwarded to ip 123.456.45.80 so if i entered 123.456.45.82:2087 in my browser would the traffic go to that vps account? would the main centos setup know that's part of that vps on its system.

if this understanding is not correct could somebody please help with how this is achieved.

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

To start, if you're assigning multiple public IPs behind your router then your router should not be set up to forward all traffic to a single machine. Forwarding traffic is usually done in order to allow requests from the public Internet to reach devices which have private, non-publicly-routable addresses.

The point of having multiple public IPs is that they are directly routable on the public Internet; you no longer have to do NAT or forwarding.

As for the server knowing which domain to show, I'm not sure about exactly what you're referring to it showing.

Openvz requires setting up virtual ethernet devices for each container, unless you install dedicated ethernet hardware for each (I'm not very familiar with Openvz in particular, but giving exclusive control of hardware to virtual devices is pretty standard functionality). Regardless, each will have its own IP address, and the Openvz host should respond with the correct container based on the destination IP in a given incoming connection request.

Closed Thread