Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

XP will not recognize a 2nd SATA HD

This is a discussion on XP will not recognize a 2nd SATA HD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am not a teckie but usually I can muddle through if I know what to do. I have a

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #1

I am not a teckie but usually I can muddle through if I know what to do. I have a custom made desktop that has been working fine since I got it last year. XP was installed on a SATA WD2500 250gb HD with no problem. I don't like multiple partitions on one HD but I can live with it. It was partitioned with C drive as the boot drive and D drive for application software, files, etc. Both C and D partitions physically are on the first SATA HD. I have a second SATA WD2500 250 GB Cavilier I believe SE 16 as best I can id from a manufacturer's link and sight checking the hard drive id sticker. A jumper is inserted between pins 1 and 2. Per Belarc Advisor the first 250gb HD has been partitioned with NTFS drive C on drive 0 with 137 GB and drive D on drive 1 with 112 GB. The OS is XP Service Pack 2. I refuse to install IE7 or Service 3 except only for security updates. The processor is a 2.4gb AMD Athlon 64 with 2048 mb RAM. I have one floppy drive and one DVD RW drive. The main circuit board is Gigabyte Technology model M57SLI-S4.

The problem is when I connect the second set of SATA cables to the "new" second 250 GB HD and boot up XP does not recognize the second "new" SATA HD. My boot sequence is DVD device, DVD device and HDD. I checked the BIOS and did not see anything amiss that I would suspect needed changing. But I could be wrong. Since my first 250 gb HD is SATA and working fine I would think that the appropriate drivers should already be installed. There are 5 unused SATA connectors on the motherboard. I have tried various ones but XP still does not recognize the second SATA 250GB hard drive.

I just want to be able additionally to use a second SATA 250gb HD. I can reassign the appropriate device letter ids later.

Sight checking device manager there is "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers". Opening that shows NVIDIA nForce S90/570/550 Serial ATA controller. It displays that same info for three lines. Next is primary and secondary IDE channel and lastly is Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller.

Without getting too deep technically can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong and step me through in detail what corrective actions I need to take to get XP to recognize the second 250gb HD? I have exhausted all the options I can think of. I thought all that was necessary to install the second 250gb SATA HD was to connect the SATA cables and XP would recognize it at the next boot up as new found hardware. I should have known as that seemed too easy. Changing SATA cable connectors on the motherboard has made no difference as XP continues to not recognize it. It is a refurbished 250gb SATA HD and I would assume it has been formatted but I may be wrong.

Any help would be appreciated especially if a phone number could be emailed me at [email protected] and I could speak with the person.Tnx.
:

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Did you initialize - partition and format from disk management? XP will know there is a disk there, but that is about all, won't use it till it has a disk signature and a partition table and filesystem to work with.
Closed Thread