Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP keeps restarting during boot

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
I go all the way through the boot, get a screen with the blue background and white text saying "Checking file system on C:, File system is NTFS, Cannot open volume for direct access, Windows has finished checking the disk." Then, the computer makes the same "click" sounds it does when I turn it on, and restarts. If I don't touch anything, this process continues to infinity.

Safe mode doesn't work, last working boot settings doesn't work either. I don't have the XP disk, but I ran the avira boot disk, and performed a scan to no avail (did get rid of 2 or 3 Trojans though).

I honestly have no idea what to do about this. Nothing was installed or anything between the last working boot and now.

#2 ·
Your HDD is clicking. This means it has failed. You will need to replace the HDD and reinstall Windows from the CD. Chances are very slim that you can retrieve any data off of the drive. But once you have the computer running with a new HDD you can attach the old drive as Slave Drive or with a USB Adapter and download the trial version of GetDataBack NTFS. Let it scan your now external drive and it will show you what files it can restore or not. Then you can decide to purchase the software if you want to retrieve the data to your new HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.