Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Windows XP - WD install problem

This is a discussion on Windows XP - WD install problem within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. OK, I googled my problem, and it came up exact ina post on this forum, but it was expired, so

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 11:06 PM   #1

OK, I googled my problem, and it came up exact ina post on this forum, but it was expired, so I am just copying and pasting some guys' responses to everyones questions... my problem is exactly as he describes his..

XP - HD problem
I've got a similar problem. Been trying to load Win XP on a PC - Shuttle AK31MB, 512MB RAM, 60G WD HD and keep getting the error that no hard drive found, press F3 and reboot. This is a new build and can't seem to figure out what the fix is.

Only have the HD on the Pri controller and CDRW on the Sec. Any ideas?

Tech,

It is a new computer with a new drive.

Never set up an OS on the drive before.

Th HD is being seen by the bios.

All of the memory is being seen by the bios as well.

Thanks for the assist. It is strange. I've built other systems using the same MB and memory and never had a problem. Now I try XP and....crap!

SPEEDO,

I removed the jumper from the HD. It came from the fac. set for CS but is now set up as master. In reading through some of the other forums, I've noticed there are a few others with the same or similar problems. All the ones I recall indicated the drives where WD!

yes. I even went out and bought a new cable. I've tried 3 cables so far.

I can boot from the 98 setup disk and run fdisk. Cleared the CMOS. Same problem.:dontknow:

I was able to FDISK and format. The recognized portion was slightly lower than the 80BG drive--approx 78GB. From what I've expreienced in the past, that is normal.

Here is something else that I discovered last night after I did all of this. I tried to use the disk that came with the drive to run some diagnostics and it said no WD drive was found!

Does this make any sense to you (or anybody out there)!

HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2004, 04:43 AM   #2
mark3567

Hi and Welcome,

Actually, it might have been better if you just told us what problem you have. However, that being said, let me make sense of what I understand with what you said.

If you are having drive difficulties and assuming the computer has worked before then we have some questions and comments:

Have you entered the BIOS setup menu and set your boot order to:

CDRom
Floppy
Hard Drive

Did you SAVE before you exited?

Did you make sure if the master drive was set to master, that any other drive on the cable is set to slave? (or both can be cable select although I don't recommend that unless nothing else works)

If this is a new build, do you know that most new drives come from the factory set as Cable Select and not master?

Did you know that you can not mix Cable Select and Master/Slave on the same cable?

Did you make sure the master drive (or the one you want to serve as master and set on the jumpers that way) is on the END of the cable and not in the middle, which by the way is slave position?

If a newer motherboard, did you turn off the Promise raid feature in the BIOS setup menu ?

Did you try a new ribbon cable (and make sure it was an 80 pin cable and not one of the old 40 pin cable)?

Give those things a look and try and tell us exactly what happens exactly when you put your CDRom in assuming all the above is correct when you boot up.

Old 11-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3567

Have you entered the BIOS setup menu and set your boot order to:
CDRom
Floppy
Hard Drive

YES

Did you SAVE before you exited?

YES

Did you make sure if the master drive was set to master, that any other drive on the cable is set to slave? (or both can be cable select although I don't recommend that unless nothing else works)

YES

If this is a new build, do you know that most new drives come from the factory set as Cable Select and not master?

YES

Did you know that you can not mix Cable Select and Master/Slave on the same cable?

YES

Did you make sure the master drive (or the one you want to serve as master and set on the jumpers that way) is on the END of the cable and not in the middle, which by the way is slave position?

Only one drive on the system, and its on the end.

If a newer motherboard, did you turn off the Promise raid feature in the BIOS setup menu ?

No RAID feature.

Did you try a new ribbon cable (and make sure it was an 80 pin cable and not one of the old 40 pin cable)?

Tried several cables.

Give those things a look and try and tell us exactly what happens exactly when you put your CDRom in assuming all the above is correct when you boot up.

When I turn on the computer, it sits at teh detecting IDE drives page for about 5 minutes, then it pops up the WD600BB 60GB drive and the CD RW, both as master, one on each channel.

In bios, the drive is recognized, and can be auto detected again np.

After it finally detects the IDE channels on boot, it goes to boot from my XP CD, and it does it fine, except taht it takes a while for it to inspect the hardware settings.

Setup loads all teh install files into memory, then it comes to the screen taht says hit enter to install windows... etc.

Hit enter, and it says no hard drive detected on the system.

Ive seen this problem in several posts, all a few years old, but all with XP install with high capacity WD hard drives.

Any ideas?

More details.

Just tossed a 4GB Seagate drive with windows 2000 installed on it in the system, with the WD drive as a slave..

still detected in teh BIOS, but once windows is up, it doesnt even show the drive.

I am going to guess this is just a bad hard drive, wheter or not its because its WD I dont know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2004, 09:53 AM   #4

I've just run into this problem at work. I was upgrading a Micron to XP from 2000 and at varied points this problem hit. One time it was on some minor security updates, so I reinstalled windows and then installed SP2, it worked until I added the computer to our domain and rebooted. Oddly enough though, I can get it to load in safe mode, even though the bios says there is no harddrive installed. Also, this too is a Western Digital drive, it's a 20 GB one though, at least a couple years old. We purchased this PC before I started here so I'm not sure how old it is exactly but it's not a new system.

Has anyone found a way to fix this yet?

Jyn
Old 11-23-2004, 10:22 AM   #5
mark3567

Hi,

A friend recently told me that with Western Digital if it is the only drive on the cable, the jumper will need to be removed ( try removing the jumper and connect the drive by itself on the IDE channel ) I donít use Western Digital drives, so I canít verify this, but might be worth a try. The person who told me is also a tech and uses WD drives (I use only Maxtor) regularly.

As an aside, why not if you want to try things before you send something back, try putting the CD drive on the same cable as a slave and see what happens then.....and if that does not work, connect them both on IDE #2, the hard drive as master on the end of the cable and the cd as slave in the middle of the cable....

Let us know....don't give up yet.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:50 AM   #6

well **** taht was an easy fix...

ignore the jumper settings, just take it off, and it runs fine.

thanks a million... I had already boxed it up for an RMA..
Old 11-23-2004, 10:59 AM   #7
mark3567

Hi Croix,

Man, do I love to have satisified customers. Now, don't be a stranger on here and if you find someone with the same problem, then give him the fix. Nice to see you.

Mark

Old 11-23-2004, 11:04 AM   #8

thanks mark..

i do browse this board for fixes quite often for my customers (I work at www.interloper.com )

I'll make sure to keep this tip in mind
Closed Thread