Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Win7 backup "completed" with error 0x8100002F

This is a discussion on Win7 backup "completed" with error 0x8100002F within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My profile lists systems specs. My OS drv (C:) has 1.64TB free of 1.80TB. Backup is to external Seagate Expansion

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

My profile lists systems specs. My OS drv (C:) has 1.64TB free of 1.80TB. Backup is to external Seagate Expansion Drv (K:) (1.81TB). Used space is 919GB, Free space is 943GB. I run ESET NOD32 which is always up-to-date. Windows Firewall is on.
Error.log for the backup indicates that Windows Backup skipped "all" C:\Users\name\files and all C:\Users\Public\files because it is on corrupted drive C:\. See attached error.log.txt for list of skipped files. Ran Anti-MalwareBytes and found no errors.
Ran chkdsk offline and only saw one error dealing with DropBox. Rebooted.
Ran system file checker (sfc /SCANNOW). It would not complete after 52%.
Ran sfc /VERIFYONLY. It completed at 100% but indicated system integrity problems. File is large so I attached the zipped version. It feels like I may have a hard disk problem on my C: drv but I am not having any problem accessing it. The same applies to my backup drv (K:). I can access it and read/write to it. I really do not know how to proceed now without some guidance. Thanks in advance.
System specs list different computer. This problem exits on Dell XPS 8300 with Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4 GHz (not overclocked), 12GB mem., 64-bit Win7 Pro OS.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Backup Files 2014-10-29 031135_error.txt (4.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: zip CBS.log.zip (403.0 KB, 57 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi, you could try SFC /offline How to Run the System File Checker (Sfc.exe) Offline in Windows 7 and Vista - The Winhelponline Blog

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

This is the 3d time I've tried to type this reply. Using my repair disk, I got to the repair computer option and then to the System Recovery Options. I chose the command prompt and ran >sfc /scannow /offbootdir=e:\ /offwindir=e:\windows. It failed "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the request operation. A supplemental pop-up pointed out the corrupted file and told me to run chkdsk.
I ran check disk with these options: X:\Sources>chkdsk e: /V /F --- to correcto found errors.
I received a message at the end stating that Windows has checked the file system and found no problems. It also stated it Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.
I decided to run SFC again.
"X:\Sources>sfc /scannow /offbootdir=e:\ /offwindir=e:\windows"
Result: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
Error pop-up - "sfc.exe - Corrupt File
The file or directory E:WINDOWS\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-wdf-kernellibrary_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.18198_none_d426811134c90d14\Wdf01000.sys is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."
This is where I stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi ok try running chkdsk /r and if that does not work I think you have serious Hard drive issues and you should try to save your data, this is one method Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer

Old 10-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Good morning in Scotland! I'm getting ready to download and create a Ubuntu Live CD on this computer (not the one having problems). Chkdsk is running now (with the /R option) on the other computer. How would I know if it runs correctly or not? What should I expect to see from a good run and a bad run? I've been using BackBlaze backup for sometime now. Would that not work for restoring my files?
Also, if I use this Ubuntu, booting from the bad PC, will it still create a new backup of my data on my external Seagate K:\ drive? What about a new image file after I've either fixed my hard drive or replaced it? Should I continue using Windows Backup or consider a better backup program? Thanks
Old 10-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and good evening from Scotland.
Run Check Disk from a Command Line to Check for and fix Disk Errors
Read Event Viewer Log for Check Disk (chkdsk) in Windows 7 / Windows 8
The ubuntu disc should not be installed it will have an option to run it from the disc that is what you want to do, and you can use this for backups and more Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

Old 10-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Update: Chkdsk /R ran and completed (apparently without errors) early this morning in the offline mode. Therefore, there was no event viewer log to check. I rebooted into Windows and then started chkdsk /R from the cmd prompt. I then had to restart the computer to get it to run before loading windows. As of now I am 72% complete and on Stage 5. I hoping that if there are any errors, that I'll be able to find an event log to tell me what happened.

Assuming no obvious or outstanding errors from chkdsk, should I try and run SFC again from the Windows command prompt, or, in the offline mode with the repair disk as I did before? I want to make sure that the file "C:WINDOWS\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-wdf-kernellibrary_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.18198_none_d426811134c90d14\Wdf01000.sys" is not corrupt and unreadable.

I was able to install imgburn and create the Ubuntu 14.04.1 LSE Desktop on a DVD. I was able to boot from this disk on the computer that is giving me problems on the C:\ drive. This version seems to be much further advanced than the one listed in the tutorial that uses version 8.04. I'm going to have to do some research to figure out how to create a backup from this version 14.

I'll update again when CHKDSK completes with any error or other outcomes that I find.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

See the info here Try Ubuntu before you install it | Ubuntu

Old 10-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

UPDATE: CHKDSK run from the command prompt before Windows start completed. No problems found. See attached Friendly View results.

Should I run sfc /scannow again? I was a little concerned when I read the following ("C:WINDOWS\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-wdf-kernellibrary_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.18198_none_d426811134c90d14\Wdf01000.sys" is corrupt and unreadable. ) after sfc failed.

Again, all of the forgoing is the result of Windows Backup completing but with the error code 0x8100002F.

I'm waiting for your suggestions. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt Eventvwr 20141030 CHKDSK.txt (2.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 10-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi, it can't hurt to try.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

UPDATE: sfc /SCANNOW still fails at 52%. Windows Resource Protection could not perform the required operation.

sfc /VERIFYONLY completes at 100% but still indicates system integrity problems in the CBS.Log.

This is beginning to really look like an imminent hard disk failure. I was thinking of running CHKDSK /B during the next restart. Whenever I run >sfc /SCANFILE= and /VERIFYFILE= to C:WINDOWS\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-wdf-kernellibrary_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.18198_none_d426811134c90d14\Wdf01000.sys, it reports that Windows Resource Protection could not perform the required operation. When I run >sfc /SCANFILE=c:\windows\explorer.exe, it runs without problems.

Is there no other way to identify and mark bad sectors? Or is that done only during a complete Format of the hard disk? -- Where I'm going with this: Would it not be possible (since I can still reliably boot into Windows 7) to duplicate my current C: drive onto a new hard disk, and then run CHKDSK /F on the new disk to fix any errors copied over to it from the bad disk? I'm assuming the new disk would not have any bad sectors. I'm trying to think of some way get this working without having to reinstall programs. During the backup process (say with UBUNTU) is the registry backed up too which would eliminate reinstallation of programs? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:50 AM   #12
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi, I think at this point your idea is worth a shot.
For recovering data you can try any one of these though the first is not free.
https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm
The 10 Cleverest Ways to Use Linux to Fix Your Windows PC
TestDisk - CGSecurity
Hopefully 1 of them will do what you need.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XPsp3-Win8.1,Win10v1709FCU, Ubuntu16.04,Zorin,ISOLinux, Android4.3,CiscoIOS

My System

Idea

Hi there,
Sounds to me like your thinking is rather scattered all over the place.

First of all it would be helpful to have specs on the system you are using; Make/Model of your PC or laptop, and Make/Model of each hard drive in question.

Next, it really does appear you have hard drive read error failures. This means you have a failing or failed hard drive AND IT MUST BE REPLACED! I'll provide you with some information on how to test both your hard drive and your RAM. You'll need to test your hard drives first before you start doing data recovery.

Here's the section on testing your hard drive and RAM:
(1) Test RAM memory. If you are running Windows7, your computer is 4-5 yrs. old and is very likely to have 1 or more hardware failures to aging/usage. Download free MEMTEST from link in my signature and test each RAM stick individually a minimum of 8 passes. If MEMTEST returns any errors, that RAM stick has failed and must be replaced. Repeat MEMTEST on each stick until all sticks pass. Then reinsert all sticks into your computer and run MEMTEST again for the 8 passes. Any failures reported by MEMTEST must be corrected by replacing RAM with matched-pairs or all sticks with new until MEMTEST RETURNS NO ERRORS. Once done, your RAM has passed move onto Step #3.
(2) Test your HARD DRIVE. On a PC that's nearly 5 years old as is yours, it is VERY likely your hard drive is failing or has failed and that's why you can't do a SYSTEM RESTORE. Hard Drives are the #1 failed component in both desktops and laptops across all makes/models. Download the free SEATOOLS drive diagnostic from the link in my Signature below and run BOTH short and long tests on your drive. If SEATOOLS returns any errors your drive has FAILED and must be REPLACED. If this is the case, you will need to start Data Recovery to get all your Personal Data copied off that drive onto external media.[Also, if you have a Toshiba, Hitachi, or HGST drive, SEATOOLS won't test those drives so you will have to go to WD's website wd.com and download the appropriate diagnostic, either DLG or HGST to test those 3 types of drives. Additionally if you have a SSD boot drive, you will need to download TRIM via google to test SSD drive].

As far as your backup discussion goes, I'm not familiar with "BackBlaze backup", and Windows Backup, the backup that comes with Windows7 is not very reliable. You've also made references to "automatic backup" with Ubuntu LiveCD 14.04; there is no program I am aware that comes with this distrubution that provides this functionality. You can, however, use the Ubuntu LiveCD when run from RAM via Flash Drive COPY the files over from your Windows boot drive C: to another internal hard drive or an externally connected USB hard drive (connected with a "drive-caddy" device or similar.

You also mention "imaging" of your existing Windows boot drive C:, and Joe in Post #6 mentioned MACRIUM REFLECT. I have had the best luck with this program and ISOLINUX Clonezilla. There is another free program you can use that many of us recommend and use and that's Acronis TrueImage; this is available for free on the SEAGATE and the WD websites. As long as 1 of the 2 drives you are using for clone operation is on one of their drives. I've downloaded both versions, but have yet to use them. There is also a paid version of Acronis which is $60 US, and I have a number of clients who have had luck with this as well. Imaging and cloning of hard drives takes years of experience and practice. It is NOT really suited for repair and data recovery in my experience. My colleagues here have had much better luck than I have in this respect. However, you have a major conundrum to face by attempting this yourself.

This is the more repair utilities and imaging/cloning software you run on that failed boot drive, the less likely you are to repair it, as the process of continual read/write operations are likely to cause it to fail sooner. That's why I recommend you TEST the drive to see how bad it is before you continue data recovery efforts. The fact that your are getting random results with CHKDSK and SFC tell me that that drive is badly damaged. On a healthy drive, you can run these all day long with no damage to the drive, and most importantly they will pass EVERY SINGLE TIME; not once in a while!!

Add to the mix that you are not using reliable Backup software; that's a recipe for F&F (Failure & Frustration ) IMO.

Another thing is we need to know the REALLOCATION SECTOR ERROR COUNT on that drive. You can download SPECCY for free from piriform.com and post that result back here. I can immediately tell you what your RSC is. If it is NON-ZERO; your hard drive has begun to fail and that's why you are getting spurious results from your Windows repair utilities (CHKDKSK & SFC). If your RSC>6; this drive has failed and there are no repairs that can further be done to it; it has failed and must be replaced!!

If this is the case, even though your hard drive PASSES the manufacturer's diagnostics I asked you to run above, your drive has failed and needs to be replaced.

You also asked if you can REPAIR the hard drive by formatting it. This is not true; and it's a rather common urban myth. Sort of like the one about getting warts by picking up a frog or toad. Formatting drives today is NOT like formatting drives 20 years or more ago. Most formatting that occurs is HIGH-LEVEL formatting, not LOW-LEVEL formatting. I suggest you look that topic up on wikipedia or webopedia for a full treatement of the topic. SATA drives today do NOT allow low-level formatting for the drive with Windows utilities; you must use custom written software usually in some form of Linux to do this; or the drive must be disassembled in a clean-room and put into a special machine to have the drive platters low-level formatted.

What you can do, is use certain Windows programs like Spinrite and Linux programs like VIVARD to "re-map" the hard flaws that appear on the drive platter surfaces. These utilities do not REPAIR the flaw, that cannot be done as I state above, but the remap tells Windows (via NTFS) to skip that sector of the disk say sector 255,123 and tells Windows to move that to another available undamaged sector of the same drive such as 923,801. Each sector you remap, causes Windows to slow down since it has to reposition it's read/write heads everytime it attempts to read/write information to/from the damaged flawed sector. Modern SATA drives with a RSC=6 or more do not benefit from the remapping, and must be replaced. period.

Lastly, if that data on your boot drive is really important to you, I suggest you remove that drive, replace with a new drive to reinstall your Windows7 on and take that old drive to your local Computer Pro for data recovery before you damage it to the point of non-recovery. This will cost about $35-$120 US; 2-3 times this outside of US. If your local Tech cannot get any data or gets some, but not the data you want, say he gets documents and you wanted 200GB of movie files, you'll have to send your drive out to very expensive Professional Data Recovery. There are only 2 companies in the US who do this properly. I don't know about Europe, but some of my teammates who live there can provide recommendations if you need them. In the US Professional Data Recovery starts at $250 and goes up from there. Expect your drive to be gone for 3-9 weeks; longer if you are shipping to US from UK I'm sure.

I think you are in panic mode, and you need to stop take a breath and look at your overall problem. You are spending way too much time trying to repair a failed hard drive, and are not focusing on the data recovery aspect. You need professional help in my opinion at this point. Continuing to experiment with various "repair" software will only damage your boot drive to the point where it will be EXTREMELY expensive to get anything off of that drive even with Professional data recovery! I would suggest you use the "conquer-and-divide" approach. Get your Windows7 PC working again by replacing a failed hard drive; that should be your #1 Goal! Once you have done this, you can in parallel be working and thinking about getting proper data recovery done on your failed hard drive. Since it's going to be gone for weeks, why wait for that data recovery to be done to get your PC going again? That seems very counterproductive to me. Data Recovery should be your #2 goal, secondary to getting your PC working again. (unless you have another reliable computer in your home that you can use in the meantime; many households today have MULTIPLE computers!).

Post back the results of your RAM and HDD tests, and SPECCY report and we'll be happy to confirm our suspicions on your boot drive. And any other questions on your data recovery will be happily answered. If you need the names of the companies in US who do Professional data recovery; post back for that too if you go that way.

Best of luck,
>>>BIGBEARJEDI<<<
Closed Thread