Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Win XP wont assign letter to USB Drive

This is a discussion on Win XP wont assign letter to USB Drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have 3 computers running Win XP. I have just bought a Western Digital Dual Option 120GB USB 2.0 External

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 05:10 AM   #1

I have 3 computers running Win XP. I have just bought a Western Digital Dual Option 120GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive. When I plug this into the USB port of two of my PCs, the drive is recognised instantly - no problem.

However when I try it in the USB port of my third PC (IBM Thinkpad laptop) it will not work. At Device Manager level, everything seems to be OK - the device is visible and Device Manager says it is working ok. However My Computer refuses to see a new drive letter so the drive is not available for use.

The USB port is 1.1 but I expect the only penalty for that is that the drive would run slowly but should otherwise function.

Any Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2005, 05:30 AM   #2

If you are using Win2K or WinXP go into Disk Management and change the drive letter of the drive to one that is not in use.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazijoe
If you are using Win2K or WinXP go into Disk Management and change the drive letter of the drive to one that is not in use.
Thank you. Crazijoe.

I tried this but unfortunately it did not work. I have also reported the problem to Western Digital who say they have come across this problem before - perhaps they will find a fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2005, 09:09 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
most likely you have a fight happening between the USB drivers and the drive

have you the most recent mobo & usb drivers

OS service packs ?

bios version / updating

dont over look a bad cable either ?????

no USB 1.1 is most likely NOT a good option for that drive / I would try updating to USB 2.0 / digital cameras dont even like usb 1.1
Old 06-13-2005, 05:11 PM   #5
Citizen of the world

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.
Closed Thread