Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

What forum should I post in?

This is a discussion on What forum should I post in? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, everyone, I have a few questions for the forum but don't know what one my post should go on.

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, everyone, I have a few questions for the forum but don't know what one my post should go on. I'm retired and have taken a lot of pictures and videos over the years so I have a bunch of small external hard drives. Some I copied to an 8 terabyte. Now I know I should have consolidated by the person or the subject matter but I didn't but now I want to, the 8 Terabyte is over half full so I bought another and started to sort and have folders named by subject matter like wildlife, Cats, Dogs or family. Now I have a windows 10 computer with 16 GB of ram. This computer will not handle any more it's maxed out. What do I need to transfer large files from one 8 TB external to another 8 TB external? I tried and did manage to transfer some. but the machine seemed to struggle to do it. Am I safe? what is a max file size for a windows 10 machine with 16GB of ram? Do I need to buy a better machine and if so what should the ram size be etc. Do I need a video card rather than the onboard one? I hope you can see my problem and send me to the right forum Thanks for reading this long-winded old fools post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2020, 08:41 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

RAM is not the problem here. Your two 8TB drives have a USB 3.0 interface. Make sure you're connecting both of them to separate USB 3.0 ports on your computer. While they will work on USB 2.0 ports, their performance/speed will suffer greatly. Direct Memory Access is used when transferring data from one external drive to another, so not much RAM is used or needed. If one of the drives is bad/has bad blocks/sectors, then any system will struggle with it and may even hang when attempting to read data from the bad blocks. If both drives are good, then the sheer number of files being transfered between them also affect performance. Copying a large file is faster than copying a large number of small-sized files. What you have is a large number of pictures to transfer, so the speed at which they will be copied will be a bit slow, especially if you're moving them and not just copying them.

Tell us the make and model of your 8TB drives and the computer you're using. If the computer is a custom built PC, tell us the make and model of the motherboard.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

The computer is an HP 550-153wb with 16 GB of ram it came with 8 I added 8
The externals are 8 TB Seagate model srdonf2
I have a problem telling the oh's from the zero's so I hope it's right my 67-year-old eyes are not what they used to be even with reading glasses
Thank you for the reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

I find installing Teracopy is a great add in for transferring large files. If the transfer process stops for any reason, Teracopy will retain the info and when you start again, it will pick up where it left off. There are many other advantages, if you are copying a file and there is another one of the same name, it will ask if you want to overwrite it, copy both of them to the same drive, or to only overwrite older files of the same name. You can also Pause transfers.
Closed Thread