Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Western Digital SATA HDD clicking and not detected

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Networks 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

My Western Digital SATA HDD was working perfectly fine two days ago until I turned on my desktop yesterday, the HDD was making a clicking noise. I researched that it meant my HDD was pretty much screwed/going to be screwed. It isnt detected on the BIOS setup menu and when I start the computer I can hear it spinning, then it clicks twice and spinning stops. It then retries the spinning and clicks twice again. This happens 4 times.

I already tried it on another desktop, switched sata cables, tried another power supply but it still kept clicking and my desktop was not able to detect it so I couldnt backup my things on it.

So I searched the internet on how to fix it and came across the 'Freezing' method.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this method would work in my situation? And I'm willing to take the risk that it would completely screw up my data.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you =)

See less See more
#3 ·
Your drive has other problems the "freezer" wont fix this one. The "freezer" only works on very few cases and its normally used when the spindle motor is frozen and the platters wont spin. That is not your case. What you have is not a DIY repair job unfortunately and the head alignment is tied to the top cover as well. If you need the data send to a pro otherwise recycle and get a new drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.