Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Western Digital Hard Drive Fat32 Problem

This is a discussion on Western Digital Hard Drive Fat32 Problem within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have got a serious problem with my 1TB WD hard drive, wd10000eb035-01. It has been working okay up until

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have got a serious problem with my 1TB WD hard drive, wd10000eb035-01.

It has been working okay up until yesterday but now it freezes whenever I try to do anything. An example, I tried copying across a folder but after doing 1/5 of the pasting it freezes - been waiting 2 hours now and it hasnt moved anymore.

When I first got this drive I did some research and I went along with someone's advice to Fat32 format it. I understand this was perhaps stupid. The problem I have is that the information on here is seriously important, on it I have the only copy of my daughters baby photos and I cannot lose these. Ironically this weekend I had freed up some time and planned to back these up to my laptop.

Since I pretty much started using it upon connecting it to PC a box has always asked 'scan and fix' or 'continue without scanning'. I always chose the latter because one time i chose 'scan and fix' and i lost all my data.

My question: I have had an idea, do you think if i partition this drive and copy the needed data to the new partition i would regain full access to the data? OR I know there is software that can change the format type to NTFS, would this be a goer?

I should add that this problem seemed to me to get worse when i pulled the cable out because everything stopped responding and that was the only option.

Thanks for reading, i would be grateful of any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Enthusiast

Since you've already said you're having problems when trying to transfer data from it (freezing), trying to copy it's data to a new partition would only give you the same trouble.

It may be the SATA-USB adapter board inside the Elements enclosure which has developed a fault, not the drive itself. A common fault with external drives. The fix for that is to crack open the enclosure, extract the drive, remove the adapter board from it, and install the drive either inside a PC as secondary drive, or buy a third-party 3.5 inch enclosure for it.

I think that's the best way to proceed for the best chance of geting data off it,
Old 09-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
the information on here is seriously important, on it I have the only copy of my daughters baby photos and I cannot lose these.
Any files that are seriously important should be on more then one drive. (ex) C: drive, USB HDD, CD/DVD, another internal HDD.
There is no reason to partition a failing HDD to copy data off of it. As Pip said if you can't copy the files now, you won't be able to copy them to another area of the failing HDD unless you use a recovery program and copy them to another drive. As Pip also suggested, you can remove the HDD from the enclosure and either attach it Internally to a desktop computer, via a USB adapter or put it in another USB Enclosure with a power adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for both of your replies. I appreciate I should have known better than to keep important data on one drive, I have had such bad luck with hard drives I cant tell you. This was the only drive I actually trusted. I had centralising all important data and now was the time I wanted to create a few backup sources. Sigh.

I was able to remove one very important folder which was of a large size (12gb) off the drive and onto my PC safely. But the drive was still unresponsive in regards to the other folders. So I removed the drive from its enclosure and connected it via sata to my PC. Unfortunately the situation has not changed. I can open my drive and see all the (first level) directory. But when I try to access the desired folder it hangs and hangs, however I was able to get another non-important folder (2gig's in size) from the drive. This gives me hope. There is only one folder that I really can’t lose, the rest of the stuff doesn’t bother me, but this folder is 24gb.

Anyway my question: Can someone please advise what would be the best course of action now? I know this is not going to be an easy fix, but I have a bit of time on my hands so even if someone could point me in the direction of the likely problem I can do the rest of the research. I have been desperately searching the internet for a similar case to mine but have not been unsuccessful. Once again your advice would be much appreciated.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

You will need to use recovery software, like the totally free TestDisk, I have had the best of luck with GetDataBack NTFS.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hi, the drive is fat32, so i guess GetDataBack NTFS won't do it. I have already tried TestDisk but doesnt really work. Given the symptoms and particularly how this appears to have started - freezing after I prematurely removed its usb has anyone any ideas where the fault lies?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

The HDD is failing that is why it is freezing. You need to recover as much as you can off of this drive and replace it. You can use GetDataBack FAT for a FAT32 drive.
Closed Thread