Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Western Digital

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Alt-rtt 
#1 ·
Hi...I desperately need help...
I have a WD 1Tb external hard disk which I used to store all my dat collected over years...it worked just fine on all Windows Platforms...
I lugged the drive into a MacBook Air to transfer some data to a friend and it just didnt show up on his system...
Now when i plugged it back into my sytem which has Windows 7...it shows the drive is empty...
Can someone please tell me how to retrieve my data...I would lose every memory important to me including videos of my only son being born and the every moment of his life since...
HELP!!! i am desperate...
Thanks a million in advance.

#2 ·
hi there,
what type of formatting ur hardisk had? NTFS?
mac operating system by default cannot read n write NTFS. u need another app to help mac read n write.
hav u check capacity of ur drive?
is it still occupied of data?
hav u set ur windows to show all hidden file?

#3 ·
Hi...thanks for responding...
The formatting is NTFS... I dont know what it was before I plugged it to the mac book...
I dont want to use it on a mac system...just dont know how all my data could have vanished just by plugging it into a mac to transfer some data which in anycase did not happen as it didnt show up on the system...
the drive is now showing empty...nothing on it...
How can I get my data back???

#4 ·
Does your drive say it's empty (1TB free space available) or does it just "appear" to be empty (much less than 1TB free space available)?

If the first option is true, i'm afraid all is gone. For the second option, i wouldn't know what to do and recommend you listen to other people's advice...

#6 ·
Mac OS X routinely recognizes NTFS disks and mounts them as read-only devices. So, you cannot damage data on such disks simply by connecting them to a Mac. Some glitch happened.
If there was no physical damage involved (disk wasn't dropped, no power outage, etc), and disk shows no signs of malfunctioning (like unusual clicks, sounds, etc), chances are high that you can recover your files.
Try R-Undelete to recover the data. Its on-line help explains how. You case is Recover Lost Files from Deleted Logical Disks.
You may try it for free in its Demo mode, in which you can perform all data recovery tasks (disk scan, search for files, file preview), except saving files larger than 64k. Then, if you find your files, you may register it on-the-fly and save your files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.