Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Western Digital 2TB external hard drive Smartware won't open

This is a discussion on Western Digital 2TB external hard drive Smartware won't open within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just bought a new computer (Toshiba P775-S320 running Windows 7) and a new 2 TB WD external drive. I

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just bought a new computer (Toshiba P775-S320 running Windows 7) and a new 2 TB WD external drive. I used the drive backing up my files manually from another external hard drive and didn't pay mind to the default software on the external hard drive for a few days.

Eventually I went ahead and installed the Smartware applications found on the drive and ran it for backup uses, which I found useful. I saw that a pop up came up for a firmware update, so I installed it and restarted my system. No problem. I then see that there was a Smartware update that popped up, so I do the same. I go ahead and try to open the application again and get an error and it won't open.

I searched for the error online and found some others have had it happen, and that one person in particular even got a response from Western Digital saying they didn't currently have a solution for it.

I sent Western Digital a message via their support page and am awaiting a reply (I pasted that message at the bottom here and the picture attachment of the original error.)

I went ahead and restored my system with system restore to the point when I installed the update (the update point was actually labeled Smartware Update Installed).

Upon restarting windows after restore, a quick error about Smartware and the drive came up in addition to a programming C+++ error or something of that matter. I went ahead and tried to open the application from the external hard drive as normal, and now there's a new error when I try to open it now and still won't open it, but it definitely changed something. The error says that is has stopped working is checking for a solution.

Also, I have the lock function on my external that I set up with the application. Now, the drive unlocks fine, as found when I go to the CD WD unlock drive that was created for it, I just enter the password I have in the pop up interface and then the drive is recognized by my computer.

I may want to turn that locking function off, but can't since I can't run the application and the unlocking pop up interface doesn't give that option. Also, is there a way for me to have that unlock box pop up automatically when I start windows so I don't have to go into My Computer, click the CDunlock drive that was created, and then enter the password?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the long winded-ness, but I figure more information is better than less!

Here's the message I sent to WD before I did the System Restore:
"I just bought my WD My Book Essential USB 3.0 2 TB external hard drive. I was able to utilize the backup features in the Smartware application until recently. I installed the Firmware update and restarted my computer, and then later was prompted to download a Smartware update so I did and ran it. After restarting my system after the update, I opened the Smartware program as told by the message given when the update was finished to make sure the backup was still active.

It then acted as if I needed to reinstall it and I received an error saying that "Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\Front Parlor\WDSmartWare.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

I was able to use the backup software on my WD and now I am not able to do anything at all. I can access the drive manually still, but no backup capabilities from the ability to run the WD application.

I uploaded a picture of the problem.

Is there anyway I can revert back to the original state of the application or redownload the original software without any smartware update?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Error Western Digital WD hard drive after Smartware update.png
Views:	615
Size:	922.3 KB
ID:	99827  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

May I add, that the error that I mentioned above that occurred after I logged into my user account into Windows 7 is now happening everytime I log in. It first mentions an error about the WD driver not running and then immediately a programming microsoft visual C error comes up. I was able to print screen to see the second error since I had to close the first one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruun time error WD drive.png
Views:	238
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	99829  
Closed Thread