Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

western digital 1to problem.

This is a discussion on western digital 1to problem. within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I need help to solve a problem. On Monday, my external hardisk western digital worked fine. It runs via

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I need help to solve a problem.

On Monday, my external hardisk western digital worked fine. It runs via external energy source. Before going to sleep, I turned off my laptop as I used to on every evenings for years.
On Tuesday, I turned on my laptop to which my hardisk is connected to via usb (no hubs or anything else that may slow down data transfert's speed) and windows 7 popped up a message: "the disk G has to be formatted". I didn't pay attention to it at first because I don't trust windows 7 on that matter. 10 minutes later, my western digital wasn't reconeized by windows anymore.

It wasn't detected nor visible when I opened "my computer".
It was visible on disk management only.
On disk management, it appeared in grey, and everytime I opened the disk management, windows asked to fix the "MBR" but each time I clicked to fix it, the process failed saying something like "windows was unable to perform the request because this partition is written-protected". The disk format is RAW. (it was NTFS before). When I right-click on the disk or on the grey area on the left of it (containing a small red cross to show that the disk isn't working properly), all options are grey (impossible to recreate or format the partition or reassign a new letter). Besides all that, the drive seems to run fine. I mean, there is no suspect noises or any signs that may betray a mechanical problem.

I tried a lot of common methods found from here and there such as "chkdsk", "testdisk" HDD regenerator" and more, either to fix the problem or extract all my datas that represent 8 years of my life (work, university courses, photos, videos, musics, well 750go of datas). None of these worked. I spent 3 days on it, unsuccessful.
I went at a friend's who owns a lot of computers under many OS. We tried everything under windows 7, vista, XP, mac snow leopard, ubuntu, and after 10 hours working on it, we couldn't do a thing. Even formatting the western digital was impossible!!

So now, I rely on you all to help me as much as possible. I know I should have done a backup but when you don't have a lot of money, you can't do much but to rely on what you already have. My friend borrowed a 1to hardisk if I could successfully found a way to recover my datas.
Please help me.

Alex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread